How To Add Images or Video to an Existing Instagram Story
Instagram is a hugely popular social media platform that enables users to share images and videos with their friends. To keep user attention, the app constantly adds new features – sometimes so many that users lose track of what they can do on the platform, or miss new features completely. In this article, I’m going to show you how to add images or videos to an existing Instagram story, something many users aren’t aware they can do.
Stories are one of Instagram’s most interesting features. They are modeled (*cough* copied *cough*) from a similar element in Snapchat. Stories allow you to tell a tale using multiple images or video clips in a slideshow-like series. Stories add a great deal to the Instagram experience and have become one of the platform’s most popular features.
Creating Instagram Stories
Instagram Stories last for 24 hours (although you can Highlight them to keep them longer) and can be viewed by the world or just by your followers, depending on how you set your privacy up.
Creating Instagram Stories is very straightforward.
- Open Instagram and select the “Your Story” icon in the upper left-hand corner of the home screen.
- Take a picture or video using your camera and edit it, add effects, etc. as desired.
- Once you’re satisfied, tap the “Your Story” icon in the lower left-hand corner of the home screen.
- After your Story has been created, you will see your profile image appear at the top of the news feed. Select it to access your creation at any time while it’s live. Once 24 hours have passed, your story will automatically disappear, though you can still find it in your Instagram archive or download it to your phone to preserve it.
Adding New Images To Instagram Stories
Once created, if you want to edit or add images or video to an existing Instagram Story, you can.
To add new images to a story from your gallery:
- Swipe right on the home screen to open the camera.
- Take your new image or video, or swipe up in the camera to access the gallery.
- Edit the image as needed.
- Tap the “Your Story” icon in the lower-left of the screen to add the image or video to your story.
- To view your stories back to back, tap your profile picture in the top-left with the words “Your Story” again. When your story plays, you’ll see two grey bars at the top indicating each of your photos/videos.
Instagram Stories are a neat feature of the app that makes it just that little bit more interesting. The time-limited nature of them is both a benefit and a bane of the system but forces you to be creative quickly. It also means you don’t have to scroll through weeks’ worth of other stories to get to the most recent.
We’ve Got A Lot More Instagram Resources For You To Enjoy!
Do a lot of reposting? Here’s our overview of the best reposting apps for Instagram!
You’ll want to read this if you’re trying to delete a single image from a carousel post on Instagram.
Here’s our guide to doing an Instagram location search.
If you want to make a local copy of your feed, here’s our tutorial on downloading and archiving your Instagram account.
We’ve got a walkthrough on whether you can change a filter on an Instagram image.