How To Add Someone to a Group Text on the iPhone – iOS 10 or iOS 11
Group, or Mass Texting, is a pretty awesome feature of iOS 10. To be able to hit up all of your friends in one fell swoop in a single text is incredibly useful. Not only that, but those within the group can in turn reply back to you (as well as everyone else invited.) Sounds like a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.
“What do I need to do to invite people into my group text?”
Great question. I will definitely answer it for you but first, we should begin with how you go about getting a group text started.
How to Begin a Group Text
For this tutorial, I’m going to assume that you’re using the iMessages app that came bundled with the iPhone. There are quite a few other apps on the market that support group texting but for this particular article, we’ll be leaning solely on the iMessages app.
So, if you’re ready to invite people to your group chat, what you’ll need to do is:
- From your iPhone, locate the iMessages app and tap to open it.
- Back out of any conversation you may already be in by tapping the arrow key at the top-left. From the “Messages” screen tap on New Message in the top-right corner.
- You can begin typing in the individual’s names you want to invite in the To: area. If the invitees are people already located in your address book, it should autocomplete as you type in their name or number. You can also tap the + icon in order to browse through your list of contacts.
For those not in your address book, inside the To: field, type the phone number of the recipient. If you’re intending on adding individuals who are using an iPad, you can type in their Apple ID instead.
- Repeat the above steps until all intended recipients have been added into the To: field.
- Type out the message you want to send out. You’ll only need to type it in once.
- Finally, hit the Send button.
Now each member you added will receive that message. This allows all members of the text group to reply and see one another’s replies as well.
If anyone in the group text isn’t an iPhone user, then they aren’t using the iMessages app. You’ll be able to tell who is and is not using iPhone by the color of the Send button. If the Send is blue, they are an iPhone user. If it’s green, then the person is not an iPhone (or iOS in general) user and you’re instead receiving standard texts.
Keep in mind that not all emojis or animations will work for all individuals within the group. This is especially true for those with different versions of iOS or alternate operating systems in general. However, the text messages themselves should be fine.
Adding/Removing Group Chat Members
If you’re already actively engaged in a conversation with one or more people, or simply forgot to add someone originally, I can walk you through how to add them. What you do is:
- From your iPhone, locate the Messages app and tap to open it.
- Select the conversation you want to add an individual to and tap to open it.
- Tap on the Details icon (looks like an i in a circle), which is located in the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap on Add Contact.
- Within the Add: field, type out the name of the person you’re adding (if they’re already located in your address book) or type of their full phone number. Again, for those using iPad, you can type in their Apple ID if it makes things easier.
- To finish it up, go ahead and tap Done.
To remove someone from the conversation, you can follow the same process as above. The difference is, instead of tapping on Add Contact as is shown in step 4, you’ll want to swipe left instead. This will bring up the option Remove, which you’ll want to tap in order to um, remove the individual from the conversation.
Leave The Group Text Conversation
Too much going on in a conversation that you no longer care to listen to? It’s actually quite simple to leave a group conversation so long as that group consists of three or more people. If a particular conversation has run its course, you can:
- Open up the Messages app and head to the conversation in which you wish to liberate yourself.
- Tap the Details icon(that sexy little i within a circle, located in the top right corner of the screen.)
- Quickly mash on the option to Leave this Conversation.