In its escalating war with Snapchat, Instagram has released a torrent of new features to draw users away from the disappearing photo app and back toward the Instagram fold. The biggest of these features is Instagram Stories, which allows users to create collections of images that disappear after only 24 hours. Sound familiar? That’s probably because it is a direct imitation of Snapchat’s My Story feature, which does pretty much the same thing.
Also see our article How To View a Private Instagram Account
With over 200 million users reported using the feature each day, Instagram’s version is far and away the most popular, and they’ve capitalized on this success by adding new tools to the experience. As of last December, it is now possible to add stickers and emoji to your Instagram Story photos and videos. They didn’t stop there though. Last March, they added geostickers to the sticker collection and just this month (April), they’ve added selfie stickers, making it possible to use photos to comment on other photos.
How do you take advantage of these creative new features? In a word, easily.
Adding Sticker or Emoji to Instagram Stories
Before you can add stickers, you need an image. Start by launching your Instagram Stories camera. This can be done in one of two ways.
1. Launch Instagram and make sure you are in your feed (aka the Home Screen).
2. Open the Stories camera by either swiping right on the screen or tapping on the camera icon in the upper left hand corner.
Now it’s time to take a picture or video. Once you’ve captured your image, you’ll be given the opportunity to make edits and add stickers before it’s added to Stories. Today, we’ll just be covering the stickers part.
1. Tap on the smiling sticker icon at the top of the photo.
2. Scroll through the sticker options. Tap on one to select it.
3. Adjust the sticker on the image in the following ways:
- Touch it with one finger to move it around the image.
- Touch it with two fingers and twist to rotate it.
- Touch it with two fingers and spread or pinch those fingers to make it larger or smaller.
- Touch it with one finger and drag it to the trash icon that appears at the bottom of the image to remove it.
- Tap it for other forms of the sticker.
4. Repeat to add as many stickers as you want!
Special Instagram Stickers and How They Work
As we mentioned above, Instagram has recently added geostickers and selfie stickers. These stickers don’t behave in the exact same way as others. Here are some tips for taking advantage of these features.
Geostickers might show up automatically or might need to be found and added. Look to the top of your sticker collection when you go to add a sticker to an image or video. You might see some preset stickers based on your location. If you don’t or if you don’t like those stickers, you can do the following:
1. Tap on the Location sticker. This should be one of the first stickers available.
2. Select the location you want to display from the list. Instagram will display your nearby locations. However, you can search for a distant location.
3. Adjust the sticker to your liking.
Selfie stickers will allow you to take an off the cuff photo that effectively turns your selfie into an emoji.
1. Tap on the camera sticker. This should also be on the first available stickers.
2. A small rounded window will pop up in which you can take your selfie. Center your face and take the photo.
- There is no zoom function on the phone for this selfie. You will need to physically move the camera further away from or closer to your face.
- If you want to expand or reduce the size of the window, touch it with two fingers and spread or pinch them. This will not zoom the image in or out. You can also to this after the photo is taken.
3. Adjust the photo the way you would any other image.
- Tap the photo if you want to change the border.
Post Sharing Editing
Unfortunately, you can’t edit the stickers or emoji on a photo after it’s been shared to your story. You can, however, delete the photo and try again.