How to Add a Website From Safari to Your Synced Chrome Bookmarks in iOS
Like many users of multiple computing platforms, I use Chrome as my desktop web browser in macOS and Windows. But I also use Safari for iOS on the iPhone and iPad. Even though Google offers the Chrome browser for iOS, the performance and experience is better with Safari due to Apple’s restrictions on third party browser integration.
And since I use Chrome as my general-purpose bookmark syncing service, this split between Chrome on the desktop and Safari while mobile can be tricky when I find a website in Safari that I want to save for later reading on the desktop. But here’s a trick that makes adding bookmarks to Chrome from Safari for iOS quick and easy, without requiring any third party bookmark syncing services.
Add a Bookmark from Safari to Chrome in iOS
First, even if you don’t plan to use it as your daily browser, this method requires that you install the Chrome for iOS app and sign into it with the same Google account that you use in your desktop versions of Chrome. Once that’s all set, find a website in Safari that you’d like to add to your synced bookmarks in Chrome and then follow the steps below:
- If necessary, first tap on the top of the screen to reveal the Safari browser controls at the bottom of the screen. Then tap the Share icon.
- Find Chrome listed in your available Share Activities and tap to select it.
- Select Add to Bookmarks.
- Now, when you next open Chrome for macOS or Windows, open your Bookmarks Manager to find a Mobile Bookmarks folder containing any bookmarks you added from Safari on your iPhone or iPad. You can then open the sites directly from that folder or move them to your other bookmark folders for archiving. You can also add the Mobile Bookmarks folder to your Bookmarks Bar for easier access if desired.
To reiterate, you need to be signed into both the mobile and desktop browsers with same Google account and have bookmark syncing enabled in your account settings.
Adding Chrome to the iOS Share Menu
- Use the Share button again to open the share menu.
- Swipe to the right to find and select the More button.
- Find Chrome in the list of available activities and use the toggle switch to enable it. You can also tap and hold on the three horizontal lines to the right of each entry to drag and reposition your enabled Share Activities.