You probably hate it that your headphones somehow manage to get tangled no matter how neat you fold the cord. The wires stop working after a while, or the sound quality drops after the 150th time you untangled them.
Switching to wireless headphones is only natural in this case. The AirPods are an excellent choice for those who want to enjoy simple and easy operation and quality sound at the same time. Would you like to learn more about the sound these Apple earbuds provide for you?
The Optimal and Maximum Range
The Apple AirPods are compatible with many devices, not only iPhones. You can connect them to many smartphones or tablets, as long as they have Bluetooth. Their optimal reception range is around 30-60 feet or 10-18 meters. That means you can move around without necessarily taking your phone with you, and whatever you’re listening to won’t start skipping.
Some users even decided to test the resiliency of these earbuds. They discovered the AirPods can do more than 60 feet and still play music without interruptions, but that’s not official information. However, you will probably make the most of this range by using the buds with an iOS device. Connecting them to an Android phone, for example, although entirely possible, may affect the range.
Note that two people can use these earbuds at the same time. If you lend one of yours to a friend, make sure you stay within the mentioned range, and you’ll be able to enjoy the music together.
There isn’t any noticeable difference between the 1st gen and 2nd gen AirPods when it comes to the range. The newer model may have a bit more stable connection when farther from the source. It wasn’t one of the highlighted improvements that came with the AirPods Pro edition, either.
How Do I Connect My AirPods?
The AirPods let you do more than listen to music. You can also talk to Siri or make phone calls. Here’s how to connect the buds and start using them if you have an iOS device:
- Check your phone for available updates.
- Put the case with your AirPods in it next to your phone.
- Unlock your phone and wait for an animation to appear on the screen.
- Tap Connect to start pairing.
- Continue following the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- When the pairing process finishes, tap on Done.
If you’re an Android user, here are the steps you should follow:
- Open Bluetooth settings on your phone. It depends on the model you’ve got, but it’s probably under Settings and then Connections.
- Turn on Bluetooth.
- Open the lid of your AirPods’ case. There’s a button on the backside of the case – it’s for setup. Press it and wait for the status light to start flashing white.
- The AirPods will appear in the list of available devices. Tap them and finish the pairing.
Note that you can’t use Siri with an Android device, only iOS phones and tablets can access it.
If you have a Mac, you can pair the AirPods with it. For the 2nd generation, your Mac needs to be Mojave 10.14.4 or later versions, while the AirPods Pro work with Catalina 10.15.1 or later.
- Go to System Preferences on your Mac computer and select Bluetooth.
- Turn on Bluetooth and put your AirPods in their case with the lid open.
- Find the setup up button on the backside of the case. Press it and hold. The status light will flash white when your Mac recognizes the AirPods.
- Find them on the list on your computer and choose Connect.
- Click on the volume control to select the AirPods as the main audio output, if they’re not already selected.
How Do I Talk to Siri?
If you connect the AirPods to an iOS device, you can take full advantage of Apple’s voice assistant, Siri.
The main difference between the first and second-gen AirPods is in the way you wake up your assistant. With the latter, you can say Hey Siri, and she will be at your disposal.
However, if you have the older version, you should double-tap one of the buds to activate the assistant and then start giving commands.
With Siri, it’s easy to turn the volume up or down, stop and resume the music, skip a song, and even check your AirPods battery status.
Make the Most out of AirPods
AirPods are one of the most practical Apple gadgets and bring relief after years of struggling with headphones and wires. They offer excellent sound quality and take only seconds to connect to any device, and they also give you more freedom than regular headphones.
Have you already started using your AirPods? What are you able to do within their range without picking up your phone? Tell us in the comments section below.