The Best Tinder Pickup Lines for a Successful 2017
If you’re a young person looking to enter the dating scene, there’s a good chance you’re active on Tinder, one of the most popular dating apps around right now. It’s a fun and innovative way to meet people in your area around the same age, without having to commit to a full-on dating app that can, quite often, be terrifying to use. Tinder makes things a bit livelier, with its swipe interface helping to make things feel a bit more casual than they might truly be. When you finally match with someone, it can be exciting, terrifying, and thrilling. The only problem—what are you going to say to your matched contact to kick things off?
Usually, we’d suggest avoiding pickup lines. They can be a bit unoriginal, hokey, or downright insulting if you aren’t careful—and chances are, the girl or guy you’re talking to has probably heard them all before in some variation. Still, an original line that isn’t simply “Hey” can draw someone’s attention, especially if you know how to make your lines amusing or original. Using a funny opening line can be the difference between your match responding or pretending you never existed. That said, it isn’t just enough to have a creative opening line. You have to know what you’re doing before you do it. So, let’s take a look at some smart guidelines and some ideas on how to use your opening line for good—not evil.
What makes a good Tinder pickup line?
- What makes a good Tinder pickup line?
- I lost my Tinder password and the password hint says ‘NAMES phone number’. Can you help me out?
- What do you like for breakfast on Sundays? A) Bacon and eggs. B) Chocolate chip pancakes. C) Fruit smoothie made with real strawberries.
- If I brought round a dessert, what should it be? A) Lemon cheesecake. B) Chocolate fudge cake. C) Mint chocolate chip ice cream. D) Something else?
- What’s the weirdest message you’ve ever gotten on here from someone?
- Truth or dare?
- You have a three day weekend, what do you do? Clean the house from top to bottom? Hit the beach and get a tan? Walk in the mountains and enjoy the quiet? Or sleep until noon?
- You win a free weekend to anywhere in the world. Where would you go?
- You seem interesting, tell me more about yourself. When was the last time you were truly spontaneous?
- What would you rather have on a date? A nice dinner. A great movie. Hanging out at the beach.
- What’s a good looking (guy/girl) like me doing without a great looking (girl/guy) like you?
- That was close! Almost swiped left. accidentally I would have missed out on this conversation!
A good Tinder pickup line will make the other person feel something even if it is amusement. It should also put a smile on their face and if that happens, you’re already halfway there. Women are hard wired to find funny men attractive, which explains a lot. Men find funny women attractive too, so it is a winner all round.
I’ve collated hundreds of Tinder pickup lines, filtered out the lame, creepy, and unwanted, and then asked five of my single friends to decide which would be most likely to succeed. Those friends are single, aged between 24 and 38 and all live in popular cities in the United States, the most common demographic on the platform right now.
Here are the results, decided by them, on which were the best Tinder pickup lines online right now.
I lost my Tinder password and the password hint says ‘NAMES phone number’. Can you help me out?
On its face, this is a good-natured, self-deprecating line that will make the other person chuckle and probably help you out. It will either tickle the damsel in distress gene in men or the funny guy gene in girls. Either way, it’s a great way to break the ice. Still, this one could also be seen as risky, so do proceed with caution.
Food is a great way to break the ice and make a connection. It is also a lighthearted way to get the other person thinking and provoke an emotional response. As food is so tied in with how we feel, food-related lines are usually quite successful. Plus, leaving out any sort of physical connection makes it lighthearted and gets a conversation going without feeling threatening or dangerous. Instead, it’s simply a conversation about food.
Similar to the last post, this continues the food theme but also requires a response. Asking a question will often provoke some kind of response from the person you’re messaging. And just like with our breakfast question, this prompt works for both men and women. After all, everyone likes desserts.
What’s the weirdest message you’ve ever gotten on here from someone?
While not amusing or funny, it is an interesting question. If they have used Tinder for any length of time, they will have a number of answers to this question. This also helps make sure you avoid some of the same pitfalls that they’ve navigated away from in the past.
Truth or dare?
This is a Tinder pickup line you need to be careful with. It is very powerful in getting a response but only if you’re careful with how you phrase it. A favorite is: ‘Truth or dare?’ ‘Truth’. ‘What would be your spirit animal?’ ‘A honey badger, what about you?’ ‘Whatever animal honey badgers find attractive enough to spend time with’.
Definitely cheesy, but not uncomfortable enough to push boundaries.
This is another question that begs for a response. If nothing else, you should be told that sleeping in until noon is a waste of a day. You can either go for the positive response and say ‘it sure is, I would rather hit the beach’ or answer, ‘depends on who you’re with at the time.’
You win a free weekend to anywhere in the world. Where would you go?
This time using an open question. This should provoke a more considered response as the recipient has had to think about where they would like to go. If they like you, they will also ask you where you would go. Take it from there.
Most people like talking about themselves and will respond positively. You can frame a question like this in a hundred different ways but as long as you make it interesting and provoke that thought process you should get an answer. If you’re lucky, they will ask you the same thing.
What would you rather have on a date? A nice dinner. A great movie. Hanging out at the beach.
What’s great about this question is it makes it evident that you’re interested in going on a date immediately, without feeling overly threatening or dangerous to the person you’re asking. It also helps make plans for a potential first date between you and the other person.
What’s a good looking (guy/girl) like me doing without a great looking (girl/guy) like you?
Simple but effective. It won’t work on everyone but lots of people like confidence as long as it stops short of narcissism.
That was close! Almost swiped left. accidentally I would have missed out on this conversation!
Again, confidence is great as long as you know where to stop. If nothing else, it should provoke a positive response if they have already swiped right.
If questions aren’t your thing, you could just stick to complements. Everyone loves a complement every now and then. Here are a few good ones.
- ‘You have no idea how many times I have had to swipe left to find you.’
- ‘Do you believe in love at first swipe?’
- ‘Sorry it took me so long to respond, I was at Whole Foods trying to figure out what you like for breakfast.’
- ‘I’m new in town. Could you give me directions to your apartment?’
- ‘Feel my shirt. Know what it’s made of? Boyfriend material.’
- ‘Is the rest of you as pretty as your eyes?’
- ‘Your beauty blinded me; I’m going to need your name and number for insurance reasons.’
- ‘I’m currently taking applications for a little spoon position. 1-10, how would you rate your cuddling abilities?’
- ‘You’re the mini-cherry on top of the regular cherry on top of the sundae of awesomeness that is my life.’
- ‘You have eyes like spanners. When I look in to them, my nuts tighten.’
These one liners aren’t quite as effective as the more engaging Tinder pickup lines above but they should illicit a laugh or sarcastic response at the very least.
So do any of these Tinder pickup lines work? Apparently they do, quite well in fact. At the very least, they are much more interesting than just saying ‘Hey’. If you live in a city, with hundreds or thousands of other Tinder users, you have to do everything you can to stand out. These pickup lines help you do just that.
Do you use Tinder? Do you use pickup lines? Do they work? Tell us about your experiences below.