How to Block YouTube on Nintendo Switch?
Nintendo Switch is becoming an increasingly popular platform with youngsters. Primarily, because of its intuitive interface and ease of use.
However, it also makes it easy for children to access inappropriate content. YouTube being the most prominent way of doing so.
Thus, a lot of users ask the same questions – How to block YouTube on Nintendo Switch?
Unfortunately, you can’t. But there are some close alternatives. Let’s find out what they are.
Alternative 1: Restrict YouTube Content
Although you can’t ban YouTube altogether, there’s still an option to restrict it to what’s appropriate. If you do, the device won’t display videos containing mature and ill-suited content.
How’s that possible? Well, YouTube is able to do this through different data such as video titles, descriptions, comments, content, guideline reviews, and metadata.
Of course, this doesn’t mean the service works perfectly well. Some improper content can definitely slip under the radar. You’ve also got to consider that parents have varied opinions on kid-friendly content.
However, until the “block” option appears, this is the best you’ve got.
How to Restrict YouTube Content?
It’s fairly easy to restrict YouTube content. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch the YouTube app from the app menu of your Nintendo Switch. (Press the A button once you highlight the app).
- Choose the “Settings” (gear icon) at the bottom of the app menu. You’ll see a new list of options to the right.
- Select “Restricted Mode.” (Highlight the option and tap the “Right Arrow” key).
- Select “On” on the following screen and press the “A” key on your controller.
This should restrict most, if not all, mature content on the app.
Alternative 2: Set Parental Controls
Setting Parental Controls is a bit more complicated than simply restricting YouTube content.
The option allows you to prohibit your youngsters from accidentally downloading mature games. And maybe even more importantly, that they don’t spend any money without permission.
However, the most crucial part here is that you can restrict the time your child spends on apps and games. And that essentially means prohibiting YouTube, too.
How to Activate Parental Controls?
There’s a thorough process behind activating parental controls. Here’s what you have to do first:
- Open “System Settings” from your Switch’s home display.
- Choose “Parental Controls” from the list.
- Select “Parental Controls” on the new screen to the right. The device may ask you to close any active apps.
When you do, you can proceed to configure parental controls manually.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to configure your parental control settings manually. The “Configure Parental Controls” window should open afterward.
Important: You’ll receive an alert informing you that you won’t be able to use a bunch of features without the Parental Control app. You can find it on both the Play Store (Android) or App Store (iOS).
- Press “I Have the app Installed. What’s next?”
- Choose “Enter Registration Code”.
- Input the registration code that you’ll see on your smartphone’s screen.
- Select “Register”.
How to Set a Time Limit for the Use of Apps?
You can use the Parental Controls app to limit your kids’ playtime on the Nintendo Switch. Thus, you can’t really ban YouTube, only restrict the overall usage of the app.
- Open the Parental Controls app.
- Choose “Select Play Time”.”
- Select your desired playtime.
You can choose between unlimited usage to 15 minutes daily. Also, you can restrict the use of various features in the same window.
Don’t want your child to share images and videos on social networks? Don’t want them to communicate with others? It’s all possible.
Can You Use YouTube Kids?
YouTube recently launched an app that should enhance safety for your children online. Unlike regular YouTube, all the content is child-friendly.
Furthermore, it has a myriad of options that limit or completely restrict certain aspects of the app.
Unfortunately, it’s still unavailable for Nintendo Switch.
Switch the Control Over to You
Even with all the current means of prevention, it’s still possible to access YouTube’s inappropriate content. Until there’s a solution that completely blocks access to YouTube, this is the best you can do.
Therefore, you should always keep tabs on what your child is doing online. Even if you think you have everything under control.
How do you like restriction settings on Switch? Do you think you could do better or worse? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.