How to Block YouTube on a Roku Device
Many households are opting for Roku as their default streaming device. Modern and unique, Roku is far from a traditional device. Therefore, the parental controls work a little differently.
Blocking channels is easy, but it isn’t as intuitive as you would expect. For that reason, you can read about detailed steps you need to take to block channels like YouTube on a Roku device in this article.
You’ll learn how to set up a PIN, remove YouTube from the channel list, and more. Stick around for further insight on the matter.
Why Would You Block YouTube on a Roku Device?
It’s a good question. Most people use YouTube daily, why would you block it? Well, kids in particular hang out way too much on YouTube nowadays. They’re glued to their phones, computers, or even Roku all day, watching YouTube.
This isn’t necessarily bad, but sometimes you need to limit their internet access. Many of the channels kids watch nowadays are inappropriate. Some of the famous YouTube stars (like Logan Paul) use profanities and teach your kids some very bad and even toxic behavior.
You can put a stop to that, and make some restrictions. Maybe you can use this method as a warning or as temporary punishment for a misbehaving child. And any block on Roku devices can be easily reverted at any time.
Setting Up a PIN on a Roku Device
Before you can block YouTube or any other channel on Roku devices, you need to make a PIN for your Roku account. This PIN will allow you to access parental controls on your Roku device. You’ll also need the PIN for adding channels or subscriptions.
It’s best that you write it down somewhere so you don’t forget it, although Roku does offer you help with retrieving lost or compromised PINs. Remember that the PIN isn’t going to block YouTube itself, you need to do it.
Here’s how to add a PIN to your Roku account:
- Visit the official Roku website on a mobile or computer web browser. Log in with your credentials.
- Click on Pin Preference and select Update.
- Choose the option to Always Require a PIN to Make Purchases and Add Items from the Channel Store.
- Type in a four-digit combo for the PIN and click on Verify PIN.
- Finally, Save Changes.
Once you have set up a PIN for your Roku device, you’ll be able to remove channels (such as YouTube). You can also hide the News, TV Store, and Movie Store tabs from the main screen on your Roku.
Removing a Channel on a Roku Device
Finally, you can remove YouTube from the list of channels on your Roku device. Follow these steps:
- On your Roku main screen, choose the My Channels option with your Roku remote.
- Navigate to YouTube, and tap on the star button (options) on your Roku remote.
- Choose Remove Channel and press OK. Confirm that you want YouTube removed by pressing OK again.
- Additionally, you can hide things from the Roku home screen. Go to Settings, then Home Screen and tap on Hide (news, movie, or TV store).
You can always revert these changes using the same steps you previously took. There’s no limit to the number of channels you can block, so feel free to block everything you find inappropriate.
Setting Up Parental Controls
Lastly, you can even set customized parental controls on your Roku TV. This isn’t possible on other Roku devices. Just follow these steps to enable parental controls:
- On the Roku TV home screen, enter the Settings.
- Choose a TV Tuner. Wait while your device is scanning for channels.
- Enable Parental Controls and confirm.
- Now you can block all unrated programs, and set the movie and TV rating limits.
The blocked content won’t be shown in any way (video, titles, audio). The only way to view it is to enter the previously mentioned Roku account PIN. If you think your PIN is compromised, make sure to update it immediately.
Some streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu have parental controls of their own. For YouTube, you can enable the restricted mode that will show only appropriate content. Here’s how:
- Enter the YouTube app on your Roku device.
- Open the Settings.
- Scroll until you see Restricted Mode. Enable it.
Now YouTube will show only appropriate content, but this option isn’t perfect. The parameters for “appropriate content” can be flawed. Also, your kids can easily disable the restricted mode if they’re older and know their way around your Roku device.
No More YouTube
There you go. Now you know all the possible ways of restricting and blocking YouTube on Roku devices. Parental controls are usually useless without a PIN, so keep that in mind. Most kids nowadays know how to disable them.
The PIN is your only way of completely blocking a channel such as YouTube. Do you have any questions or concerns? Share them with us in the comments section below.