Will My Brother Printer Work with an iPad?
Gone are the days when you had to transfer files from your mobile phone or tablet to a computer and then print them. Today, you can connect your smartphone directly to a printer and scan or print documents all you want.
Brother printers have become popular due to their excellent compatibility with devices such as the iPhone and iPod Touch. But can you also print from your iPad? Keep reading to find out.
Can You Use a Brother Printer with Your iPad?
The answer is yes! Brother printers are compatible with iPads, and you have two options if you want to print or scan documents using this device. You can use the Brother iPrint&Scan app or the AirPrint wireless technology. The iPad mini will also work with these printers.
Using the iPrint&Scan App
The latest version of the Brother’s free app for printing and scanning documents is available in the Apple App Store, so download it to get started. Make sure that both your iPad and your Brother printer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network before you start.
After installing the app, you should connect your iPad to the printer via Wi-Fi. You can do it in two simple steps: first, you should press the WPS or AOSS button on your router, and then the Wi-Fi button on your printer.
When done connecting your devices, you can start printing.
How to Print a Photo
Before you print the photo, you can edit it by tapping the small pencil icon. You can also change the settings of your printer by tapping the gear icon in the app. If you’re happy with the settings, follow these steps:
- Launch the printing app on your iPad.
- Tap the printer icon.
- Select the Photo option and find an image you’d like to print.
- Select Done and then Print.
You can use the app to take a new photo and then print it. The steps are very similar.
- Open the iPrint&Scan app and tap the printer icon.
- Tap on Camera and take a new photo.
- Choose either Use Photo or Retake.
- Finally, select Print.
You can also edit the image before you print it.
How to Print a Document
To print documents from your iPad, do the following.
- Tap the printer icon within the iPrint&Scan app.
- Choose Documents.
- Select the desired document.
- Tap on Print.
Note that you can also change print settings if needed.
How to Print a Web Page
It’s possible to print a web page from your iPad using a Brother printer. Here’s how.
- Launch the app on your iPad.
- After selecting the printer icon, tap on Web Page.
- Go to the page you’d like to print.
- Select Print Preview and then Print to finish.
If you have saved the data you want to print to the Clipboard, you can use the same process to print from there, but choose Clipboard in the second step.
How to Print from Other Apps
You can use your iPad to print files from other apps as well. Do the following.
- Open the desired file, whether it’s a photo or a document, and select Open in….
- Choose the iPrint&Scan app to open the file.
- Select Print.
Can You Also Scan to Your iPad?
The answer depends on the model of your printer. If it has a scanner, you can save scans to your iPad as photos.
- Put the document you want to scan in the printer.
- Tap the scan icon in your app.
- Select Scan and then Done or Scan again.
- Tap the square and arrow icon and then Save to Photo Albums to save the photo to your iPad.
Note that you can edit images saved to your device. You will see each scanned page as a separate photo.
If you want to send the scanned file as an email, follow these additional steps.
- After you tap the square and arrow icon, select Email as JPEG or Email as PDF, depending on which format you want.
- Send the email.
Can You Make Copies Too?
Yes. You can use the app to make copies by following these steps:
- Tap the Copy icon in your iPrint&Scan app.
- Select Start and then Done.
- Tap on Copy if you don’t need to make changes in Copy Settings, edit the image, or change Preview Options.
Although it’s a bit outdated, Brother printers also allow you to send a fax. Here is how to do so.
- Tap the fax icon and then Fax Send.
- Select the plus sign to add a number from your contact list, or choose Enter Number to add a number manually.
- Choose either Fax documents from your machine or Select a file from your mobile device.
- Select Scan or find the desired file on your iPad.
- Tap on Fax to complete the process.
You can also receive a fax by tapping the fax icon and then Fax Preview. After that, you only need to select the file you wish to receive.
Using AirPrint Technology
AirPrint uses wireless to print from your iPad. You don’t need to install drivers to do it.
- Turn on your Brother printer.
- Open the page you’d like to print using Safari.
- Tap the small rectangle and arrow icon.
- Select Print.
- Select your Brother printer if it isn’t already selected.
- Adjust the settings and tap on Print to finish.
Printing on the Go
Fortunately, you no longer need a computer when you want to print files. Printing directly from your iPad is highly convenient and saves time. If you wish to print from your mobile device, you can choose the AirPrint technology or use the iPrint&Scan app.
What’s going to be your choice? Will you use the AirPrint wireless technology or the app? Let us know in the comments section below.