The hardest-working and most honest of us have all been tempted. It’s Thursday night before a Monday holiday and we want to start the long weekend with a bonus Friday. You need to take a sick day (a.k.a. “I’m going to the beach/movies/mall” day) or you want to tell your boyfriend or girlfriend that you can’t make that date (that you secretly never wanted to go on anyway).
But you don’t want to talk to the boss or to bae; you’re hoping and praying that they won’t pick up and that you can just leave a voicemail message. If it goes to voicemail, you can leave that fake-cough-laden “I’m just too sick to move” or that fake-heartfelt “I gotta get this work project done, baby” message without the possibility of pointed questions (“weren’t you sick last Friday and the Friday before that?”). You want to leave the message, hang up, turn off your phone and scamper away into the night, free from the social obligation of having to actually talk to the person you’re bailing on.
Sadly, the cruel reality of readily-available smartphones means that when someone wants to get our calls, it’s easy for them to get our calls. Most of the time our hopes are dashed as the person picks up and we have to make our claim about having a cold in mid-June while our coldly skeptical employer listens in grim silence. But rejoice, TechJunkie reader! There are ways to call directly to voicemail without any risk of the person answering their phone. In this article, I will present a tutorial on how to avoid that painful conversation and get straight to leaving your pitiful excuses on someone’s voicemail. Your alibi will be presented, complete with proof that you tried to get in touch.
The perfect crime.
Call Directly To Someone’s Voicemail
- Call Directly To Someone’s Voicemail
- Can You Leave Someone A Voicemail Without Calling Them? Yes – With An App.
- How To Send A Call Directly To Voicemail
- How Do You Make A Call Go Straight To Voicemail On A Landline?
- How Do You Call Straight To Voicemail On iPhone?
- How Do You Call Straight To Voicemail On Android?
- Get The Most Out Of Your Voicemail
Some wireless carriers give their subscribers the option to send voicemail directly without ringing the other party’s line. This generally is only available if both parties are on the same carrier, but when it’s available it’s super easy.
To send a voicemail directly to another AT&T subscriber:
- Enter your voicemail box and from the main menu, press 2.
- Enter the 10-digit phone number you want to send your message to.
- Record your message and press the # sign. (To replay your message before you send it, press 1).
- If you want to select a special delivery option, press 1. Special delivery options are:
- 2 for Urgent.
- 3 for Private.
- Press the # sign to send your message.
To send a voicemail directly to another Verizon subscriber:
- Call your voicemail access number.
- Press “2” to send a message.
- Follow the instructions as promoted. You’ll either record the message and then enter the phone number, or the other way around.
- Set your delivery options – 1 for private, 2 for urgent, 3 to request confirmation, 4 for future delivery.
- Press “#” to send the message.
To send a voicemail directly to another T-Mobile subscriber:
- Call 1-805-637-7243.
- Log into your voicemail account.
- Select the option to send a message and follow the prompts.
To send a voicemail directly to another Sprint subscriber:
- Call your own voicemail number and sign in.
- Select the option to send a message and follow the prompts.
Can You Leave Someone A Voicemail Without Calling Them? Yes – With An App.
If you aren’t on the same network as the person you want to call, the next-best option is to use an app. There are two popular apps to perform this service: Slydial and WhatCall. While Slydial used to be the market leader, it’s since been flooded with poor reviews due to the service only working sometimes. WhatCall continued to work for a time, but as of November 2019 also appears to be having major issues and only working sporadically.
Slydial is an app (available for iOS and Android) that you download and install onto your phone. Free accounts are available but they require you to listen to an ad before making your call. There are also two tiers of paid accounts, giving you ad-free access, the ability to “Slydial” multiple people simultaneously, and other premium features. For most people, the free version is perfectly adequate to ditch out on work, avoid the semi-girlfriend or keep from going to a party you really don’t want to go to.
Here’s how to use the service:
- Download and install Slydial onto your phone.
- Sign up for an account and log into the app.
- Dial 267-SLYDIAL from your phone app on your cell phone to connect to the service.
- When prompted, enter the cell number you are trying to reach.
- Leave your message as instructed.
Slydial only works if you’re calling a mobile phone. Even if the landline you are trying to call has digital voicemail, the app will not work. Otherwise, the process automatically bypasses the live line and goes straight to voicemail.
WhatCall is also available for Android (sideload only) and iOS and it works almost exactly the same – in fact, as of November 2019 it apparently DOESN’T work almost exactly the same, with many reviews saying the app simply doesn’t work – it places the call but the other phone does ring or vibrate or light up. Even if you’re just trying to make sure you don’t wake someone up but still want to leave them a voicemail, WhatCall will make sure their phone doesn’t ring. WhatCall imports all of your contacts, so all you have to do is open the app and tap a contact, and you will be directly connected with their voicemail. Again, though, it is a cell-only app. WhatCall on iOS costs $0.99
How To Send A Call Directly To Voicemail
What about if you’re on the other side of things? Your phone rings, you see who’s calling, roll your eyes, and wish that you could send them straight to voicemail. It’s easy to do this for all callers – just set your phone to airplane mode or turn on do not disturb. It’s also easy to do this when the phone rings – just reject the call, and it will go to voicemail. But if you want to single out one person for the voicemail treatment and not have the phone ring when they call you, you’ll have to use a different method depending on which phone you’re using.
Using An Android
(Note: This only works on some Android builds.):
- Navigate to your call list and add the number you want to avoid as a contact.
- Navigate to “Contacts” and tap the three-dot menu icon.
- Inside the individual contact, tap the three dots menu icon.
- Select “Route to voicemail.”
Using An iPhone
Unfortunately, you cannot currently send individual calls to voicemail on an iPhone without using a non-native app.
If you want to avoid marketing calls, you can just block them instead. This won’t stop that first call, but it will stop subsequent calls.
- Open the phone app and navigate to Recents
- Find the telemarketer call.
- Select the information icon on the right, then scroll down and tap Block this Caller.
- Calls from that number will be blocked in the future.
Calls will still technically be delivered to your phone, but your phone will not alert you to the call. This is a handset block and not a network block. You can put a network block on persistent telemarketers, but you need to contact your network provider for that. To view voicemails from blocked calls, go to Voicemail, then scroll all the way to the bottom and tap “Blocked Messages.”
How Do You Make A Call Go Straight To Voicemail On A Landline?
How Do You Call Straight To Voicemail On iPhone?
How Do You Call Straight To Voicemail On Android?
Forget about messing around with apps. There’s a powerful voicemail handling system built into nearly every big carrier today – and that system almost always includes a system for recording a voice message and sending it directly without ringing the target phone. I will walk you through the process of doing this on Straight Talk (since that happens to be my carrier) but most carriers will have similar systems.
- Dial the voicemail access number; for Straight Talk, that is *86.
- Enter the PIN code that grants access to your voicemail.
- To send a message press 2.
- Enter the destination number and the pound key.
- Record the message.
- Press # to send the message.
The advantage of calling directly to voicemail are many. You can pass on bad news, give a message with full inflection and meaning in your voice and give the recipient time to reflect before they have to respond. In some fraught situations, that period of reflection can completely change how that person responds and can turn a difficult situation into something much calmer and more measured. You can also skip out on work without having to answer any questions.
Do you know of any other ways to send a call directly to voicemail? Do you know how to selectively send a call to voicemail on an iPhone? Tell us about it below if you do!
Get The Most Out Of Your Voicemail
Want to have a glimpse of life back in the 20th century? Check out these landline phones. This is how the world used to be.
Voicemail is a big part of communicating today. We’ve got a lot of good tutorials to help you get the most out of your voicemail.
If you’re starting with a new iPhone, here’s how to get your voicemail set up on the iPhone.
If you have an Apple Watch, we’ve got a tutorial on how to listen to your voicemails with your Apple Watch.
No matter where you work, there may be times you want to forward business calls to your cellphone.