How To Cancel Homechef
Home Chef is one of the most popular subscription services that deliver meal kits with pre-portioned ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes straight to your door. While the service has received universal praise for its variety and the convenience it provides, users sometimes decide to end their subscription.
Unlike some services, Home Chef doesn’t allow you to fully delete your account. Instead, they let you pause your subscription and keep your account info intact in case you decide to come back in the future.
Still, whether you’re moving house, going on vacation, or thinking of trying a competing service, pausing your Home Chef subscription is easy. Here you’ll find an in-depth guide on how to do it.
Before You Proceed
While Home Chef offers prices that are on par with other similar subscription services, feeding a family of four can still be quite expensive. If the only reason you are considering canceling Home Chef is its price, perhaps you can customize your menu to save some money.
For example, you can switch from the Standard plan to the 5-Minute Lunch plan, each including four servings, and save almost $8 a day. If your kids don’t always drink the provided smoothies, you can cut your smoothie order from four to two servings, and save another $10 a day. And if you have a farmer’s market nearby, you can buy fresh fruit there rather than pay almost $20 for a family-sized fruit basket.
However, if the price isn’t the reason you want to stop using it, or if even an optimized menu wouldn’t fit into your budget, read on to learn how to cancel – or rather “pause” – your subscription.
Canceling Your Home Chef Subscription
To pause your subscription, log in to your Home Chef account and do the following:
- In the top-right corner of the screen, click on “My Account.”
- From the dropdown menu, choose “Account Information”.
- Scroll down to the “Delivery Details” section of the page and click on the link labeled “Pause Your Account”.
- Like every other subscription service, Home Chef wants to keep their users happy and onboard, so they’ll offer you some additional options before finally pausing your account.
You will be given a choice of the following three options:
- Skip next week – This is perfect if you’ll only be gone for a week but plan to continue using the service afterward.
- Change delivery frequency – This option is ideal if you want to have meals delivered, say, every other week or once a month instead of every week.
- Schedule your restart date – This is great if you’ll be absent for a while (business trip, summer vacation, etc.) but don’t want to fully cancel the service. With this option, you can enter your return date, and the service will automatically resume as soon as you’re back home.
If none of these options interests you, click on “Pause Your Account” to confirm your decision.
- In the next window, you will be asked to provide a reason for your cancelation. You will either have to choose between one of the top three options (“Travel/Vacation”, “Delivery Days”, or “Cooking Time”) or “Other”. If you opt for the latter, you will have to provide a short comment to further clarify your reasons.
- Once you’ve chosen your reason, click on the green “Pause My Account” button to confirm your choice. And that’s it – you have now successfully paused your Home Chef subscription.
Important Notes About Cancelation
Keep in mind that your cancelation will come into effect the week after you request it. If, for example, you’re canceling on Tuesday and have a delivery scheduled for Thursday that same week, your weekly delivery will still arrive as planned, and you will be charged accordingly. To ensure that you don’t have to pay for the upcoming week’s delivery, you must pause your account before Friday at noon Central.
If at any moment you decide to resume your subscription, you just have to log in to the website and click on “Un-pause my account.” You will also be given an option to configure your menu, update your site preferences, and change your email and delivery addresses. Also, as was the case when pausing your account, you need to un-pause it before Friday at noon Central to receive your meals for the upcoming week. Otherwise, you’ll have to wait for a full week to start receiving your Home Chef deliveries.
How Do You Like Home Chef?
Have you tried Home Chef yourself? What are your impressions? How does it compare to other meal kit delivery services you have tried? Tell us about your experiences in the comments below!