How To Center Your Instagram Bio
Centered bios have become increasingly more popular on Instagram and for good reason. They catch the eye, putting your message (and keywords) front and center for your followers and potential followers to see. Many users feel they are more visually appealing and make a profile stand out and command more attention. Although Instagram is notoriously limiting when it comes to customizing profiles, it is possible to take back a little of your creative flare and center or stagger your bio. After all, which of these would you rather follow?
How to Center a Bio
Centering your bio is a probably a little easier and a little harder than you thought. Put simply, you want to make the bio in the editing window look like the finished product. However, just adding spaces before each line to center or stagger the bio won’t do you any good. Luckily, we have just what you need.
- Go to your Instagram page. Desktop is easier.
- Click Edit Profile.
- Go to the Bio field on your profile.
- Copy the spaces (and ONLY the spaces) between these arrows: >>⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀<<
- Paste these spaces before each line of text.
- If the bio is not perfectly centered or you would like to stagger it, you can now use the space bar to adjust the shape of the bio.
Should I Center or Stagger?
That’s really between you and your bio. However you choose to shape your bio, make sure the format compliments the content. Staggered bios work well when you have three or four clean statements. However, they don’t work as well when you’re trying to highlight contact information.
Notice that the second example tiered less fluidly because the last line was too short. Also, it doesn’t highlight the contact information in the same way that a centered bio would.
Think about what you want your followers and potential followers to take away from your bio, how your bio reads, and what information you’d like to highlight.
When Not to Center a Bio
Sometimes, your profile is better served by not having a centered bio. Centered bios come with their downsides, including:
- Lack of space for characters. Bios have a 160 character limit and spaces count toward that limit.
- Poor desktop view. Centered bios do not come across as effectively on desktop. Of course, most people will be checking Instagram on their phones.
- Centered bios break up text. If your bio is comprised of short statements, this might not matter for you. It can also be helpful for highlighting disparate elements like email addresses. However, if you interrupt the flow of your bio, forcing it onto separate lines, it might look awkward and be hard to read.
If you’re not sure whether or not a centered bio is right for you, take it for a test drive. there’s no harm in fielding opinions from friends, family, and followers.