How to Change the Discord DM Name
The Discord app allows its users to message other members on the platform. Private messages from one user to another are known as Direct Messages or DM’s. Keeping track of numerous Direct Message groups can, however, become confusing.
Knowing how to change the Discord DM name is extremely useful in this respect. In this article, we’ll show you not only how to change a DM name, but change user nicknames as well.
Personal Direct Messages
A person to person DM composed of a message between only two users doesn’t have a DM name. Each individual message will have the name of the user that you’re sending the DM to as its title. There’s no way to change this unless that user changes their username. The rules are different for DM threads with multiple members.
When you wish to message multiple users at once, you can add them to a DM group. Creating a DM group allows you to assign a DM name to it. To create a DM group, follow these steps:
- Click the Home icon on the left side of your Discord Menu.
- On the side of Direct Messages, click the + symbol. This will prompt you to Create a DM. Note that selecting a single person will open a DM window with that user.
- Click the checkboxes besides the names of those you want to add to the group.
- Click Create Group DM.
You can customize the Group DM by changing the group icon and changing the DM name. To change the DM icon, do the following:
- Right-click on the name of the group you want to edit.
- Choose Change Icon.
- Browse your files to find an image that you want to set as your icon.
- Click Open.
- In the Edit Media window adjust your slider as desired.
- Click Apply.
- Your DM icon has now been changed.
If you want to change the DM name as well, you can follow these steps:
- Click on the DM Group member names until they become editable as shown below.
- Change the DM name to what you prefer then click Enter.
- Your DM name has now been changed.
Changing Server Nicknames
Another useful server management tool is the ability to change both your name and your member nickname. If a group has a lot of members, the potential of getting repeat names can prove confusing. This also gives your server members the ability to change their own names if you allow them to.
The ways to change a Server Nickname are as follows:
1. Changing from the Chat Window
This is the most straightforward way to change a Nickname. If you’re the server admin you can change the name of any user in the server.
Right-click on the name of anyone inside the chat window. From here you can choose Change Nickname and edit it to your preference.
2. Changing Nicknames from the Server Menus.
The option to change nicknames are also accessible from the server menus to both the right and left of the chat window. Here’s how to do it:
- Right click on your server name to change your own Nickname.
- Right Click on the name of a server member to change their nickname.
3. Changing from the Server List
These commands are also accessible from inside the Server Settings tabs. Along with the ability to change nicknames you can also assign roles that give this ability to other users. The server settings tab also provides moderation tools to properly regulate the activity in your server.
To access these commands, you can follow these steps:
- On the left side of your Discord app, Right-click on the server you want to moderate. Note that you must have the appropriate permissions to actually do this. The creator of the server will always have full permissions.
- Hover to Server Settings then choose Roles.
- Scroll down. You’ll see the Manage Nicknames tab under General Permissions.
- Toggle this option on / off if you wish.
- Save your changes.
You can also access nickname editing by clicking the Members tab under User Management in the Server Settings window. When you do this, you’ll be shown a list of current members of the group. Right-clicking on a name will also allow you to change that user’s nickname as long as you have permission to do so.
A Great Server Management Tool
Being able to change the Discord DM name is a great server management tool. Maintaining a large community of users can become rather daunting unless you know how to organize those members properly. Knowing what messages go where, and to who they need to be addressed to, helps simplify the work of a server admin.
We’ve shown you the easiest ways to both change the Discord DM name, and to manage the nicknames of other members. It always helps to know other tips and tricks from experienced Discord admins. Do you know of other ways to change the Discord DM name? Do you have advice that you would like to share? Let us know in the comments section below.