How to Change the Email on an Xbox Account
There are plenty of reasons to change the email on your Xbox account. It could be an old address that you want to get rid of, or maybe you want to organize all your accounts under one single address.
Doing so is a simple enough process. In this article, we’ll show you how to change the email address on your Xbox Account.
Changing the Email Address on Your Xbox Account
Changing the old email address on your X box Live account requires you to change the details on your Microsoft Account. The two services are connected, and Xbox doesn’t have a dedicated website of its own.
Be forewarned, though. If the email that you used to sign up is a Microsoft domain such as @Hotmail.com, @Outlook.com, or @Live.com, it will be permanently removed. Microsoft doesn’t allow any repeated use of any addresses that have already been created, even if the address is deleted.
To change your email proceed to your Microsoft Account page, and then follow these steps:
- Click on Your Info located on the upper left of the page.
- Click on Manage how you sign in to Microsoft.
- Choose which alias you want to delete, then click on Remove. Remember that if you want to delete an email address that’s set as the Primary, you’ll need to declare another Primary before removing it. You can’t delete the address otherwise. To declare a new address as the new primary, click on Make Primary on another email address.
- If there isn’t a second email address available either create a new one or connect one already made. This is done by clicking on Add email, typing in the address, then clicking Add alias. Follow the instructions shown to Verify the address you just used.
- Once you’ve made another primary address, click on Remove for the old address, then click Confirm.
- You should now have a new email to sign in to your Xbox account.
Replacing a Lost Email Address
If you’ve lost your Sign in email for some reason, or have forgotten the password you used to sign in, changing the old one will be a bit different. Xbox Support won’t be able to help you change the address, so you’ll have to try and get into the account.
There are several ways to find the email address you used to sign up for your Xbox account.
- Using the Xbox console, you can find your email address by highlighting your Gamer Tag or Gamer ID. If you can’t see the email, you might have edited the settings to not display this information. If this is the case, you can find your address by doing the following:
1. Open the Guide by pressing the Xbox button.
2. Choose Profile.
3. Choose Settings.
4. Choose Account.
5. Choose Sign in, security & passkey.
6. Your email should be under the Show on Home section.
7. Use the email to log onto your account, or use it to recover a lost password.
- If you used an alternate email as an additional alias, or have them as a second confirmation email, check your old messages. Any emails with the Microsoft Billing or Xbox live will usually have the email address of your account.
- If your email is associated with a Family Group, you can have that family member log in and look up the email associated with your account.
Once you have the email address, you can try to sign in. Click on the Forgot my Password link to reset your login password. The password reset instructions will be sent to either an associated email or phone number. Once you’ve recovered your email and password, resume to changing your email as detailed in the instructions above.
Following the Right Steps
If you need to change the email on your Xbox account, you can do so easily if you follow the right steps. Unless you’ve forgotten either the email or password, it should be a simple enough affair.
Do you have other tips on how to change the email on an Xbox Account? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.