How to Change Google Home Alarm Sound
Alarm clocks are a thing of the past. Nowadays, there are many cool new smart alarm clocks. For instance, did you know that you can use your Google Home as an alarm? As a rule, beeping alarms can be very annoying, if they are good at getting you up fast.
Google Home lets you choose your own alarm sound, in the form of media alarms. Unfortunately, the regular alarm sound can’t be changed. You can set up media alarms, radio alarms, and even character alarms using voices from famous cartoons.
You’ll learn all about that in the following article.
Setting Alarms on Google Home
The way you set an alarm on Google Home is quite straightforward, but let’s go over it briefly before moving on with the alarm sound options. You’ll be using voice commands to control the Google Home features, such as the alarm.
You can do a lot of stuff with this alarm, here are some examples:
- Hey Google, set an alarm for 7:30 tomorrow.
- Hey Google, cancel my alarm for 07:30.
- Hey Google, set an alarm for 2 PM named lunch.
- Hey Google, set an alarm for 7:30 every day.
- Hey Google, what alarms are set?
- Hey Google, what’s the time?
- Hey Google, snooze the alarm.
- Hey Google, snooze the alarm for 10 minutes.
- Hey Google, stop.
There’s plenty of customization and different sounds you can set for the alarm using Google Home. These commands are all self-explanatory, e.g. you see that you can easily set an alarm, cancel it, snooze it, check all the alarms, etc.
Changing Google Home Alarm Sounds
Now that you know how to set a basic alarm, here’s how to set up a music one:
- Say “Hey, Google, set Metallica alarm for 7 AM tomorrow”.
- Or “Ok, Google, set Bach music alarm for 6 AM every day”.
- If you prefer radio try “Hey, Google, set Wild Rock Radio alarm for 8 AM tomorrow”.
You can experiment and name any band, singer, or composer for your music alarms. Also, you can choose any radio station you like, just make sure you use the proper name when saying the voice command.
Google Home will take the music from your default streaming service that’s linked to your Google account. If you haven’t linked any services, or your Google Home isn’t connected to a Wi-Fi network, you’ll hear the normal beeping alarm sound instead of the song you’ve ordered.
Using Google Home Character Alarm Sounds
Don’t worry, there are Google Home alarm sounds that are suitable for children. You can choose from many favorite children’s cartoon characters, such as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Lego Friends. Here’s how you set a character alarm:
- Hey Google, set a Michelangelo alarm for 7 AM every day.
- Hey Google, set a Raphael alarm for 6 AM tomorrow.
- Hey Google, set an April O’Neil alarm for 8 AM every day of the week.
The list of characters might be changed over time, it’s best to check online which ones are currently available. Your kids will surely love this Google Home feature, and maybe they’ll take less time to get up and prepare for school.
Using Google Home Bedtime Sounds
Besides changing the Google Home alarm sounds, you can also change the bedtime sounds as you please. These sounds can help you sleep, or relax before sleeping. They’re very useful, and here’s how you can start using them too:
- Hey, Google, play ambient noises/sounds.
- OK, Google, help me relax.
- OK, Google, stop in ten minutes.
- Hey, Google, turn the loop on.
- OK, Google, tell me a bedtime story.
- Hey, Google, sing me a lullaby.
These sounds are very relaxing and you can use them any time you like, whenever you want to let off some steam and just chill.
Change Google Home Alarm Sound Volume
You can also adjust the volume of alarm sounds on your Google Home. Follow the steps:
- Enable Wi-Fi on both your mobile or tablet and your Google Home device.
- Turn on the Google Home app on your iOS or Android device. Use the links to download and install the app if you haven’t already.
- Choose the device, i.e. Google Home.
- Select the Settings (gear) icon.
- Next, tap on Alarms and Timers.
- Use the slider to change the volume to your liking.
- That’s it, you don’t need to do anything else, the volume will change instantly.
Hopefully, this article will help you adjust the Google Home alarm sounds and its volume to suit your taste. Keep in mind that cast devices, such as smart speakers, won’t play alarm sounds through Google Home.
They will only be played through the Google Home displays or speakers. The tone of the basic alarm sound can’t be changed. Your alarm will play for 10 minutes if you don’t turn it off. If you have any other questions or comments, fire away in the comments section below.