Smartphones are the modern Swiss Army Knife, designed to replace dozens of different devices and utilities in our life. MP3 players, landline phones, cameras,, and more have all been replaced by smartphones, but one of the most useful tools provided by your phone is a free, always-connected Global Positioning System (GPS).
Gone are the days of having to find your way around an unfamiliar town or using paper maps to map your way through a road trip. Instead, your phone uses a combination of GPS, mobile data, and WiFi to guide you to your destination.
Whether you’re looking for a local restaurant or turn-by-turn navigation to drive across the entire United States from New York to Los Angeles, using a navigation app on your phone is the ideal way to get around.
Though GPS has made finding your way around much easier, it’s still a good idea to practice navigation without GPS occasionally as GPS or your phone fail sometimes. You don’t want to be so dependent on your phone’s GPS navigation that you can’t find your way around without it.
While there is no perfect navigation app for any one person, Google Maps comes close to perfection. It’s the default navigation app on Android and the most popular navigation app on iOS, and it’s easy to see why.
How do I Change the Voice on My GPS?
Google Maps is the best voice navigation system on your phone, allowing you to save offline maps to your device and helping to use your phone to find your way through the most rural of areas or even while you’re out hiking. Voice navigation enables you to navigate without having to look down at your phone constantly, which is flat out dangerous while driving.
If you’re trying to make the app more to your liking, however, Google Maps does allow you to customize the voice in your turn-by-turn navigation.
Let’s take a look at how to change the voice settings in Google Maps on Android and on iOS (iPhone and iPad), starting with Android.
How do I Change the Voice For Google Maps on an Android?
Android devices have Google Maps already installed as part of the Google bundle, along with the Google Assistant, Chrome, Play Store, and others. There are two ways to change the voice of the Google Maps navigation on an Android phone or a tablet–from within the app and by reinstalling the app.
The first method is the easier one, while the second involves adjusting your phone’s language settings. Let’s see how to change the Google Maps voice on an android phone or tablet.
Change the Google Maps Voice from within the App
Follow these steps to change the Google Maps voice through the app’s settings:
- Tap on the app icon to launch Google Maps on your tablet or phone.
- Tap on the Main Menu icon. It is located in the top-left section of the screen.
- Next, find and tap on the “Settings” tab.
- Once the “Settings” section opens, locate and tap on the “Navigation settings” tab.
- In the Navigation Settings section, tap on the “Voice Selection” tab. The currently selected voice of Google Maps is marked with a check mark.
- You will see the list of all available languages and their regional variations. Tap on the language you want.
- Next, tap the “Back” button. This will take you back to the map.
- After that, enter your current position into the upper text box.
- Enter the destination into the lower text box
- Tap on the “Go” button in the lower-right section of the screen.
- Tap the “Start” button. Google Maps will start navigating you towards the destination in the newly selected voice/language.
Reinstall the App
When installed, Google Maps takes its language settings from the device’s language settings. So, instead of changing the app’s voice through the in-app settings, you can uninstall the app and change the language settings on your phone or tablet. Let’s see how that works.
- Delete the Google Maps app from your tablet or phone. If you can’t delete it by tapping and holding the icon, you will have to uninstall it via the Google Play Store.
- Next, launch the “Settings” app from the Home screen.
- Scroll down and locate the “System” section. Tap on it.
- Once the “System” section opens, tap on the “Language” or “Language & Input” tab, depending on the device.
- Next, tap the “Language” tab.
- You will see the list of all available languages. Select the one you want by tapping on it.
- Exit Settings by tapping the “Home” button.
- Launch the Play Store by tapping on its icon.
- Browse for the Google Maps app.
- Tap on install “Install” button.
- Your newly installed Google Maps will take the language settings from the device’s settings.
How Do I Change the Voice on Google Maps on My iPhone?
As opposed to Android phones and tablets, iOS devices (iPhones and iPads) don’t have Google Maps installed by default. However, iOS users can download and install the iOS version of the app for free.
Unlike Android users, iPhone and iPad users can’t change the voice of Google Maps navigation from within the app, though it’s easy to accomplish the same thing within the iPhone or iPad settings.
Here’s how to change the Google Maps voice on an iPad or iPhone (i.e., iOS):
- Launch the Settings app from the Home screen.
- Next, tap on the General tab.
- Tap on the Language & Region tab within the “General” section.
- Tap iPhone Language or iPad Language, depending on the device.
- Select the language or the language and the dialect (e.g., Australian English) you want to use.
- The device will prompt you whether you want to change the language. Tap “Change to…”
Launch Google Maps to test your new language and dialect settings. Enter a location, then click Go to start the voice instructions.
Over and Out
Both Android and iOS devices are flexible with regard to the language and dialect used for voice navigation. The difference is that on Android you make the changes within the settings of Google Maps itself, whereas with iPhones and iPads you change the language and dialect for the device (including Google Maps) from the general settings.
If you like this article, check out other TechJunkie how-to articles, including How to Connect Your Amazon Echo Auto to Google Maps and How To Drop a Pin on Google Maps.
Do you know of any tips and tricks for customizing Google Maps? If so, we’d love to hear about it in the comments below!