How To Change the Google Maps Voice
Google Maps is the most popular navigation app on both Android and iOS devices. However, it is not the most flexible one when it comes to the navigator’s voice as there is only one voice per language or dialect.
Android users have more wiggle room, as they can change the voice from within the app. On the other hand, iOS users have to reinstall the app and change the device’s default language.
Android devices have Google Maps already installed as part of the Google bundle, along with the Google Assistant, Chrome, Play Store, and others. There are two ways to change the voice of the Google Maps navigation on an Android phone or a tablet – from within the app and by reinstalling the app.
The first method is the easier one, while the second involves adjusting your phone’s language settings. Let’s see how to change the Google Maps voice on an android phone or tablet.
Change the Google Maps Voice from within the App
Follow these steps to change the Google Maps voice through the app’s settings:
- Tap on the app icon to launch Google Maps on your tablet or phone.
- Tap on the Main Menu icon. It is located in the top-left section of the screen.
- Next, find and tap on the “Settings” tab.
- Once the “Settings” section opens, locate and tap on the “Navigation settings” tab.
- In the Navigation Settings section, tap on the “Voice Selection” tab. The currently selected voice of Google Maps is marked with a check mark.
- You will see the list of all available languages and their regional variations. Tap on the language you want.
- Next, tap the “Back” button. This will take you back to the map.
- After that, enter your current position into the upper text box.
- Enter the destination into the lower text box
- Tap on the “Go” button in the lower-right section of the screen.
- Tap the “Start” button. Google Maps will start navigating you towards the destination in the newly selected voice/language.
Reinstall the App
When installed, Google Maps takes its language settings from the device’s language settings. So, instead of changing the app’s voice through the in-app settings, you can uninstall the app and change the language settings on your phone or tablet. Let’s see how that works.
- Delete the Google Maps app from your tablet or phone. If you can’t delete it by tapping and holding the icon, you will have to uninstall it via the Google Play Store.
- Next, launch the “Settings” app from the Home screen.
- Scroll down and locate the “System” section. Tap on it.
- Once the “System” section opens, tap on the “Language” or “Language & Input” tab, depending on the device.
- Next, tap the “Language” tab.
- You will see the list of all available languages. Select the one you want by tapping on it.
- Exit Settings by tapping the “Home” button.
- Launch the Play Store by tapping on its icon.
- Browse for the Google Maps app.
- Tap on install “Install” button.
- Your newly installed Google Maps will take the language settings from the device’s settings.
As opposed to Android phones and tablets, iOS devices don’t have Google Maps installed by default. However, iOS users can download and install the iOS version of the app for free.
Unlike Android users, iPhone and iPad users can’t change the voice of Google Maps navigation from within the app. Instead, they have to uninstall the app and alter their device’s language settings. Here’s how to change the Google Maps voice on an iPad or iPhone.
- Tap on the Google Maps icon until the “X” mark appears in its upper-left corner.
- Next, tap the “X” mark.
- Tap the “Delete” button.
- Press the “Home” button.
- Launch the “Settings” app from the Home screen.
- Next, tap on the “General” tab.
- Tap on the “Language & Region” tab within the “General” section.
- Tap “iPhone Language” or “iPad Language”, depending on the device.
- Select the language or the dialect you want to use. English, Spanish, and some other languages are available in several localized variants.
- Tap “Done”.
- The device will prompt you whether you want to change the language. Tap “Change to…”
- If the phone/tablet asks you to configure Siri, tap the “Continue” option and then “Set up Siri Later in Settings”.
- Launch the App Store.
- Browse for the Google Maps app.
- Tap the “Download” icon and wait for the installation to complete.
- Launch Google Maps to test your new settings.
Over and Out
While not the most flexible in terms of navigation voices, Google Maps still allows for some level of customization in this respect. Follow the steps laid out in this article and the new Google Maps voice will start navigating you to your new destination in a matter of minutes.