How to Change Your Phone Number in GroupMe
Like many other messaging apps, GroupMe requires you to enter your phone number. It’s for security reasons – the app needs you to enter a code while signing up to confirm that it’s really you who’s creating an account and using the app.
That code is then sent to your phone, so you need to provide the number. If you change your phone number, you can also change it within the app. Keep reading this article to learn how to do it and what to do if an issue arises.
How to Change Your Phone Number on GroupMe
- How to Change Your Phone Number on GroupMe
- How to Change a “Phone Number Already in Use” on GroupMe
- How to Have GroupMe Support Change Your Phone Number
- Additional FAQs
- Keep Your GroupMe Profile Safe
You have several ways to replace your old phone number with a new one, depending on the device you’re using. Choose the set of instructions you need below.
From a Windows PC
- Open GroupMe and click on your profile image.
- Click on the pencil icon to edit it.
- Click on “Change your Phone Number,” and then “Change Number” again.
- After you type in the new number, choose the “Send PIN” option.
- Follow the instructions you’ll see on the screen to complete the change.
From an Android Smartphone or Tablet
- Launch the GroupMe app and go to “Open Navigation.”
- Select your profile image and tap on ‘Edit.”
- Next to your current phone number, there’s a pencil icon. Tap it and add the new number.
- Tap on the “Send PIN” button and complete the process by following the on-screen instructions.
From an iOS Device
- Open GroupMe and then the “Open Navigation” tab. If you’re on an iPad, you may not see that tab, so just tap the “Chat” option at the top.
- Select your avatar and locate the phone number in the menu.
- Tap it and type in the new number.
- Select “Get PIN” and complete by following the instructions you’ll see on your screen.
If you don’t receive the message with your PIN immediately, wait a few minutes to see if it comes through. If not, use another device to contact GroupMe support, and they will provide you with the PIN. Don’t close the PIN screen on the device you’re using to verify the phone number because you’d need to get a newer PIN, which may cause confusion.
From the Web
You can also replace your phone number via the web if you haven’t installed the application.
- Open a web browser and sign into your GroupMe account.
- Select your profile image and locate your phone number in the menu.
- Next to it, you’ll see the “Edit” button. Click it.
- Type in the new number and select “Submit.”
- Follow the instructions you’ll see on the next screens.
When you’re done, your new phone number will be linked to your GroupMe account.
How to Change a “Phone Number Already in Use” on GroupMe
If you see the “Phone number already in use” message after entering your phone number, there may be an error. You can try restarting your device or setting a new password since you’re adding a new phone number.
After you reset the password, use the new phone number to log in. Select the “Delete Account” option, and that will reset your number in the app’s database. Note that it takes 48 hours for the process to be completed.
When that’s finished, you can change the number associated with your current account.
How to Have GroupMe Support Change Your Phone Number
Are you experiencing issues while adding a new phone number on GroupMe? In that case, you can contact their support via this link and describe your problem. When done, click on “Get Help” and wait for further instructions.
If we haven’t answered all your questions above, you may learn more about GroupMe in the FAQs section below.
How Do I Get My GroupMe Backup Code?
The backup code is used to enable you to sign in to your GroupMe account if you lose your phone. To get it, make sure you turn on the two-step verification in GroupMe. As soon as you receive this code, write it down and keep it somewhere safe. Do not keep it on your phone because you won’t be able to see the backup code again. And if you lose your phone, you’ll also lose access to the code.
Why Won’t GroupMe Change My Phone Number?
The phone number you’re trying to add may already be in use. Try entering another phone number instead if you have more SIM cards. If you know for sure that your new number isn’t already in use, try the solution we’ve given in previous sections of this article.
Can You Have a GroupMe Account Without a Phone Number?
No, you can’t. You need to provide your phone number when creating an account because it will be linked to the account for security reasons.
How Do I Remove My Number From GroupMe?
You can’t remove it, but you can replace it with a new phone number. To do so, refer to the previous sections of this article.
How Do I Sign Out of GroupMe?
If you’re using a web browser, just navigate to the “Settings” icon, click it, and select the “Log Out” option.
If you’re using Windows or a mobile device app, go to the “Open Navigation” tab, tap or click “Settings,” and choose “Log Out.”
Does “GroupMe Messages” Appear on Your Phone Bill?
GroupMe messages do not appear on your phone bill. Your account is indeed connected to your phone number, but the app is free to use.
Keep Your GroupMe Profile Safe
By linking your app accounts to your phone number, you make sure you’re the only one who’ll be able to access them. Using your phone number can help you recover your account if you can’t log in, and that’s why you should keep the number up to date at all times.
Have you already enabled the two-factor verification option in your GroupMe account? Have you had issues when updating your phone number? Let us know in the comments section below.