How to Change Your Phone Number in Outlook
Changing your phone number in Microsoft Outlook can be confusing, especially as there isn’t a dedicated webpage. Its direct connection to your Microsoft Account can make managing your profile rather inconvenient.
In this article, we’ll teach you how to easily change your phone number, and manage your profile information as well.
Changing Your Phone Number in Outlook
The Outlook email service is directly connected to your Microsoft account. If you wish to edit your phone number in Outlook, then you’ll be editing it in your Microsoft Account profiles. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Outlook website.
- Click on you profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen to open Account Manager.
- On the dropdown menu, choose My Profile.
- On the left side choose the Contact Info tab
- Select the phone number you want to change then click Remove. There’s no direct way to edit a number. You’ll have to take it out to change it.
- Click Add Phone Number.
- Enter new number that you want for your account. Click Next.
- A code will be sent to your phone. When received, enter the verification code.
- Your number will now be set to your account.
Alternatively, you could also enter a new number without deleting the old one. You can then click Make Primary to confirm it as the primary number associated with your account.
Add and Change Email Addresses
To add or change associated email addresses on your Outlook account, you can do the following:
- Proceed to the Contact Info tab by repeating the steps outlined above.
- Choose an email address associated with the account. It doesn’t matter whether it’s the primary address or not. You’ll be redirected to your Microsoft Account Info page,
- If you want to add an email, click Add email.
- You’ll be redirected to an Add Alias page. You can either create an Outlook email, or associate an existing email with your Outlook account. Once you’ve chosen, click Add Alias.
- If you want to want to remove an email address, choose which one you want deleted then click Remove. You’ll be asked to verify the email address deletion by clicking Remove again.
- If you want to make an email address your primary email address, just click Make Primary. Do note that your primary email address is how you’ll sign in to your account. Additional addresses are known as aliases. They’re another name for the account and share the account settings of the primary account.
Changing Profile Information
You can edit your current profile information by heading to your My Profile page. This page allows you to add a picture, manage your name, your date of birth, your region and your display language. Except for adding a picture and changing your display language, you’ll have to enter your sign in credentials to proceed.
Be aware that updating the data in this page changes it for the entire Microsoft Account. It’s important to remember this because this affects not only Outlook, but other Microsoft accounts connected to it like Skype and Xbox Live.
Enabling Two-Step Authentication.
A great way for both securing your account, and making it easier for you to log in to change information would be to set up Two-Step Authentication. Here’s how it’s done :
- Open Outlook, click on your icon at the upper right and choose My Account.
- Scroll down the page until you see the Update your security Info box. Click on it.
- Click on More Security Options. It’s the rightmost box.
- On the Two-Step Verification menu, choose set up two step verification.
- Enter your security credentials when prompted.
- Click Next.
- Now you can choose how to set up how the verification is made. You can choose an app, a phone number or an email address. Choose an option then click next or get app.
- If you chose an email address or a phone number, you’ll be sent a verification code.
- If you chose an app, you’ll be directed to download the Microsoft Authenticator App.
Keeping an Up to Date Profile
Without a doubt, an up-to-date profile helps Outlook perform its job better. Knowing not only how to change your phone number, but your other information as well makes sure that your profile is always current.
Have you ever changed your phone numbers in Outlook? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.