How to Change Your Roku PIN Number
Roku is an amazing service, and you probably already know a lot about it. However, there are some things on Roku that are not as transparent as they should be. We’re talking about the Roku PIN (personal identification number).
In this article, we’ll show you how to change or update your Roku PIN, how to add it if you don’t have it, and the various uses of Roku PIN.
Many people mistakenly think that the PIN is related to parental controls, but Roku channels are not affected by it. Read on and find out everything about it.
How to Change Your Roku PIN
Roku PIN is not difficult to look up and change. The instructions on the official support site are not as clear as they should be, so that’s where we come in. Follow these simple steps to change your Roku PIN:
- Open a browser on your device and go to Roku’s official login page.
- Use your credentials to log in. If you don’t know your password, click on Forgot password and follow the recovery instructions.
- Once you’ve logged in, click on the Account dropdown menu and then the My Account tab (top-right corner of the screen).
- Under the Pin preference tab in the middle of the screen, click on Update.
- Enter your PIN and verify it. If you don’t have one, create it then and there. Enter a four-digit sequence into the “Create PIN” field and confirm it in the “Verify PIN” field.
- The section below is very important. It’s about PIN preferences, i.e. when do you want Roku to check for your PIN. The choice boils down to any purchases, purchases and adding channels, and no PIN requirement for any of these actions. Select the option that suits you and confirm with Save Changes.
That’s how you change your Roku PIN. It’s not difficult, right? You can follow these steps to change your PIN or the PIN settings any time you like. We recommend that you never completely disable this option because Roku usually does not provide refunds for any purchased channels on the official Roku Channel Store.
Roku Parental Controls
So, if the Roku PIN has nothing to do with parental controls, how do you block certain channels with a passcode? This is a question that many parents ask. Roku states that if you need parental controls for any of their premium channels, you are to set them up directly on the channel.
For example, if you want to set up parental controls for Netflix, you need to log into your Netflix account and sort it out through Netflix’s settings. You need to go through each of the subscription services and set up parental controls individually.
The process is different for every service, and there are way too many streaming services nowadays (Amazon Prime, HBO GO, Hulu, Netflix, etc.) so we will leave that to you. Visit the official pages of these services to find the instructions for setting up parental controls.
Why Is It Useful to Have a Roku PIN?
If this number is not used for parental control, what is it good for then? Well, it is actually very useful. You need it in order to add new Roku channels, i.e. additional streaming content. You will need to link your credit card, debit card, or PayPal account to your Roku account in order to make these purchases.
You can connect your credit/debit card through your Roku account page, updating the payment methods. When you want to purchase a channel, find it in the Roku Channel Store, click on Add, and then you will have to enter the PIN. After that, Roku will charge your credit card or other payment method and you will instantly gain access to the newly purchased channel.
That’s why it is useful to know your Roku PIN. You should remember it or write it down somewhere. It will come by nicely more than you expect.
Remember the PIN
Roku is a serious service and they take their customers seriously. Imagine if your PIN fell into the hands of a child that wants to watch all the channels. The bills would stack up and there probably wouldn’t be a way to refund the money.
That’s why, in a sense, this is a parental code even though it isn’t advertised as one. So, be very careful with it. What are your thoughts on the matter? What do you use the PIN for? Let us know in the comments section below.