How to Change Your Username in Snapchat
Snapchat has a very strict policy concerning usernames. Once you sign up for Snapchat, a username once picked can never be changed. The folks at Snapchat had made it clear that they do this for security reasons and have, so far, not changed this policy.
Still, we can show you a few tips on how to get around Snapchat’s policy of not being able to change your username.
Changing Your Display Name
Although Snapchat has maintained its one username policy, there are ways to get around it, and one of these is to change your Display Name. Usernames and Display names are different things to Snapchat. A Display name is, as the title suggests, what’s prominently shown under your profile picture. Any Snapchat posts you make will be shown under this Display Name. To change your Display Name, you can do the following:
- Open your Snapchat account and then tap on your profile icon on the upper left corner of the screen.
- You can access the Edit Display Name feature in several ways. You can do this by tapping on the cog icon on the upper right corner of your screen and then tapping on your name. Alternatively, you can tap on your name directly under your profile pic on your profile screen.
- Change your display name to whatever it is you wish. Do note though that if you’re a Content Creator, your name must follow Snapchat’s creator guidelines.
- Once you’re done changing your name, tap on Save. Remember though that those who added you before your change of name will continue to see you under the name that they added you with. Anyone new that adds your account will see you under your new Display name.
Snapchat also gives you the ability to change the Display Names of the people in your album. To do this:
- Navigate back to your profile menu by tapping on the profile icon.
- Tap on the My Friends tab below your profile to be shown a list of your friends.
- Choose a friend and tap on their icon. This will open the chatbox.
- Tap on your friend’s icon on the upper left corner of the chatbox to open the edit display name page.
- Change the Display name to what you want then tap on Save.
- Changing a friend’s display name will not affect their actual account. They also won’t be notified that their name has been changed in your album. The change is local and doesn’t reflect on anything other than your account.
Creating a New Account
If changing your Display Name really isn’t doing it for you, you can always create a new account with a new email and username. Be forewarned though that any of the details on your old account, such as Trophies, Memories, or Snapstreaks, will be lost. There’s also no way to automatically transfer your friend’s list from one account to another.
If losing any saved information on your old account isn’t a problem for you, you can still transfer your friend’s contacts to your new account manually. This will be rather inconvenient for those with a large number of contacts, but you don’t really need to do this all at once. You can transfer contacts in batches if you wish, as you don’t really need to delete your old account right away.
You’ll need to take note of your friend’s username instead of their Display Name. Usernames are unique to each account, while other people may share the same Display Names.
Once you’ve created a new account, Tap on the search box on the top of the screen. Enter your friend’s username then tap on +Add to add them to your friend’s list. If your friends are also in your phone’s contacts, you can use the All Contacts option on the Add Friends tab to include them on your list.
Once you’ve transferred all your contacts, you may choose to delete your old account.
Stuck with the Alternatives
Until such time that Snapchat itself allows users to change their own usernames, those that wish to do so are stuck with trying the alternatives. It may not be the most optimal solution, but it’s at least a start.
Do you have other tips or tricks on how to change your Snapchat username? Share your thoughts on the comments section below.