How to Change TikTok Profile Picture
A profile picture can say a lot about a person. Depending on how often you change it, it could signify someone’s mood swing or if they’re having a particularly good hair day that must not go uncelebrated. Some people don’t even bother to upload one, discarding that practice as irrelevant. Others may put a lot of thought into it. After all, a profile picture on your social media account is part of how you present yourself to the world.
All social media platforms are more or less spaces for posting pictures. Instagram has taken the lead in that department, but TikTok rules the world of short videos. It’s the ultimate social media app for presenting yourself and your audio-visual creativity.
The World of TikTok
It seems like you either dive right in, or you’re apprehensive about it. TikTok is an entertainment wonder for some and a scary unknown for others. Meaning kids love it, but their parents are confused by it.
When you download the TikTok app, it immediately sucks you in with videos of mostly young people lip-syncing, dancing, performing comedy, or goofing around in general. While you’re looking for where to go from there, you might hear at least part of Rihanna’s song and another soundbite of someone you’ve never heard of. Perfectly normal. That’s TikTok.
When we first find ourselves using a new app, it takes some time to discover all the possibilities. So, we’re likely to use it for a while without realizing certain settings that we would have preferred. But, the basics are usually covered. So, if you want to continue exploring TikTok and discovering its interesting features, it would be a good idea to add details to your profile first. Mainly your username and profile picture.
To change your username, which is also a big part of your online presentation:
- Open your TikTok app and click on the profile button at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Next, click on “Edit profile”.
- You’ll be directed to the page where you can type in your new username.
Changing the Picture
When it comes to your profile picture, here is how you upload and change it:
- Open your TikTok app and go to your profile page.
- Click on “Edit profile”.
- Now you get to choose if you want to upload a photo or a short video in your profile.
- Tap on the circle under which it says “Change photo”, and you’ll be offered the possibilities of taking a photo right there, or selecting one from your device’s gallery.
- You will be asked to confirm if that is indeed the photo you want to use as your profile picture, and if it is, click on the checkmark in the upper right corner of the screen.
- You will be able to crop the photo and make it fit as well as possible in TikTok’s round profile picture slot.
Here’s another way to change your profile photo on TikTok. When you’re on your profile page, skip clicking on “Edit profile” and just:
- Tap your profile photo.
- Your current profile photo will appear. Underneath it, at the bottom of the screen, you will find “Change”.
- Go ahead and press it and you’ll be able to either take a new photo or upload one from your gallery.
If, however, you want to post a short video as your profile, TikTok makes it available. This is the short video clips app and it makes sense that TikTok users would want to choose a picture in motion for their profile. Setting it up is very similar to changing your profile picture. All you do is:
- Open TikTok and go to your profile page.
- Next to the “Change photo” option, you’ll see “Change video”.
- Your device’s video gallery will open and you can select which video you’d like to use.
- Now you get to trim and select 6 seconds of that video to use for your profile.
- Click “Save” and the video will be uploaded.
Removing the video is easy too – just tap and hold the uploaded profile video. You’ll be able to click “Remove” from the menu that pops up.
Some Say Tick, Others Say Check (Or Is It, Tock?)
The TikTok app might be a bit hectic for some, but it’s an endless sea of fun for others. Setting up your profile only involves a few quick steps so as to make it easier for you to go ahead and direct, record, and upload your videos.
Let us know in the comments below if you prefer a picture or a video for your TikTok profile.