When it came out, everyone was rather blown away by the capabilities of Amazon Echo. It has a great sound system and the way it operates is quite convenient. Amazon Echo is a hands-free speaker that users can operate using voice control.
Once you say “Wake” Amazon Echo starts to listen and you can order it to play music, news, weather forecast, sports scores, etc. Furthermore, after it starts executing its order, the room is filled with 360° immersive sound. It’s really simple to use. All you need to do is say the word “Alexa”, and Amazon Echo will activate.
However, what happens if someone shares Echo’s name or nickname? Well, it is quite simple really, Amazon Echo will activate even though it was not “spoken to”. Luckily, this wake word is not set in stone, and if you are not happy with the voice of your personal assistant that resides within this smart speaker system, you can change it. There is a way to change the wake word, so that it responds to “Amazon” rather than “Alexa”.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Use your Android or iOS device to open the app “Amazon Alexa”.
- There is a three line menu button located on the top left; you need to tap it.
- Once the menu is open, scroll down and enter the “Settings” section.
- When you are inside Settings, tap on the echo device you want to change.
- Near the bottom of the screen, there should be a “Wake Word” box. Tap it.
- You are now in the “Change your Wake Word” menu, so tap down the small black arrow in the box that says “Alexa”
- You will be presented with two options ‘Alexa” and “Amazon”, and you should select “Amazon” and tap save.
That’s it. You have successfully changed the wake word from Alexa to Amazon. Enjoy!