Chromebook Won’t Connect to Printer – How to Fix
Chromebook laptops and tablets are versatile devices. They use Wi-Fi to communicate with cloud-ready printers. However, sometimes it’s impossible to establish this kind of connection.
There are many potential reasons for that, though most of them are easy to find and solve. Keep reading for the rundown of the most popular troubleshooting methods for this common issue.
When your Chromebook refuses to communicate with the printer, you should first check your Wi-Fi settings. Turn the Wi-Fi off and on again to see whether that solves the problem. If not, try to forget the network and sign in again manually.
If these two options fail to bring positive results, consider restarting your router. Press the Power button, which is usually on the backside of the router, and wait at least 10 seconds before turning it back on. Some manufacturers recommend keeping their routers off a few minutes when restarting them.
In case the Wi-Fi network starts working as it should and you’re still unable to connect to a printer, you should try one of the following tips.
Set Up the Printer
After the Wi-Fi’s back on, you might want to try and connect the printer again. Check this page to see whether your printer is cloud-ready. The V1 tag means that it’s a 1.0 Version cloud-ready printer. The V2 tag means that it’s a 2.0 Version cloud-ready device. To connect a printer that’s not cloud-ready, you’ll need either a Mac or a PC.
First, you should make sure that both the Chromebook and printer are turned on and connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Here’s how to connect a V1 cloud-ready device.
- Launch the browser on your Chromebook.
- Go to the list of compatible printers.
- Click on the name of the manufacturer of your printer.
- Click on the link to their help site.
- Follow the instructions on how to connect the printer to your Chromebook.
Here’s how to connect a V2 printer.
- Open the browser on your Chromebook.
- Click on the address bar and type chrome://devices. Press Enter.
- Go to the New devices section and find your V2 cloud-ready printer.
- Click the Manage button next to it.
- The Confirm Registration dialog box will pop up. Click on the Register button.
- Follow the registration wizard. You might be prompted to confirm by clicking on the OK or Register buttons.
- Go to this page to check whether your printer’s connected and registered.
To use a printer that’s not cloud-ready, you’ll need to connect it to a PC or Mac and use that computer to print files and documents you save to Google Drive with your Chromebook. Here’s how to connect a classic printer.
- Go to System Settings on your computer.
- Locate the Printers section.
- Add the printer in question to your computer. If necessary, contact Windows or Mac support sites.
- Next, launch Chrome.
- Enter the following into the address bar: chrome://devices. Press Enter.
- Find the Classic Printers section and click on the Add Printers button.
- Find the “Printers to register” section and pick the one you’d like to share.
- Click on the Add Printer button.
A reboot is usually sufficient for solving minor bugs and issues. If your printer won’t work, give it a try. Follow these steps to reboot a Chromebook device.
- Turn off your device completely.
- Press and hold together the Power and Refresh buttons.
- Keep the Refresh button pressed until your Chromebook boots up completely.
In case you’re on a Chromebook tablet, the reboot process is a bit different. These steps should work for pretty much every tablet device.
- Press and hold the tablet’s Power and Volume Up buttons.
- Hold them for at least 10-15 seconds. Some models might require you to hold them longer.
- When your Chromebook tablet boots up, release the keys.
Some Chromebook models feature a Restart key. If there’s one on your device, you can use it to reboot the computer. Some models may also need to be unplugged from the power source after they’ve been shut down. You can find the list of special reboot procedures on this page. Look under the “Other ways” section.
If all of the above methods failed, you might want to reset your Chromebook back to its factory settings. Remember that a factory reset will wipe everything from your device, including files, settings, and apps. Therefore, it is advisable to sync everything you need with your Google account. It is also a good idea to save important files to Google Drive or an external hard disk if you can’t access the cloud.
Sync with Google Account
Here’s how to sync with Google account.
- Click on time on the Home screen.
- Click on the Settings options at the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the People section.
- Pick the Sync tab.
- Select what you’d like to synchronize. If you’d like to keep your files, data, and settings, pick the Sync Everything option.
- If you want extra security, go to the Encryption Options and set a password that will encrypt your data.
Have in mind that you have to have admin rights or your admin needs to allow you to perform synchronization with a Google account.
Finally, here’s how to factory reset your Chromebook.
- Sign or log out of your Chromebook.
- Click on the time at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Click on the Settings option at the bottom of the pop-up menu.
- Next, pick the Advanced option.
- Next, select the Reset Settings tab.
- Pick the Powerwash option on the next screen.
- Next, you should select the Restart option.
- Click on the Powerwash option in the next dialog box to confirm your choice.
- Click on the Continue button.
- When Chromebook finishes with the factory reset and boots up you should sign into your Google account.
- Follow the setup wizard.
- Try to connect your printer once more.
The methods and tutorials presented in this writeup should help you solve the connectivity problems between your Chromebook and printer. If they all fail, you can always try installing a fresh version of the OS. Refer to this page for the instructions on how to reinstall the OS. Ultimately, you can also contact Google Support.
Have you ever had problems with printing documents with your Chromebook? How did you solve the issue? If you know a good solution that’s not listed in this article, don’t hesitate to share it in the comments section below.