How to Play My Chromecast on an Xbox One
On the back of your Xbox One, there are two HDMI ports. One (as you probably already know) connects your Xbox One to your television so you can play video games there. The second HDMI port on the back of your Xbox, labeled “Sat/Cable,” can be used to cast your Google Chromecast through the Xbox One.
Here’s how you do it. Let’s start with hooking things up:
Connect Your Chromecast to the Xbox One
- On the back of your Xbox One, you will see a second HDMI port, labeled “HDMI in from Sat/Cable.” Insert your Google Chromecast dongle into that port.
- To power the Chromecast device, either connect your Chromecast AC adapter into a wall outlet, or insert the USB end of the power adapter into one of the USB ports on the back of the Xbox.
Next, you’re going to turn on your Xbox One console.
Setting Up the Xbox One to Cast
- After turning on your Xbox One, go to the TV app.
- A screen should open, saying “Watch TV on your Xbox.” Select the option, “Set up your cable or satellite box;” this is the port where we plugged in the Google Chromecast.
- Your Xbox One should now detect the Chromecast, and the next screen should say, “Let’s watch TV.” Go through the rest of the set-up screens to complete setting up your Xbox One to use the Chromecast.
You are now ready to start casting to your Google Chromecast through your Xbox One’s Sat/Cable port.
What makes plugging your Google Chromecast into the secondary HDMI port on the Xbox One a great option, is that you can now watch your Chromecast or play your Xbox One without having to switch any cables around or change to a new input selection.
You could Snap the OneGuide (TV/Chromecast) on the right side of your screen and play a video game in the remaining part of the TV screen—multi-tasking at its finest. Otherwise, just go to the TV app pinned to your Xbox One’s home screen to use the Chromecast in full-screen viewing mode.
Use your Google Chromecast as you normally would with an Android device, iOS device, or the Chrome Browser with the Google Cast extension. You can refer to our previous article on how to cast your desktop on Chromecast for those instructions.