How To Clear & Delete All Events from Google Calendar
Google Calendar is a component of Google Apps that I use a lot, along with Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and so on.
I really like Google Calendar because it’s free, integrated with other apps, accessible from anywhere, including my Android phone and it’s so simple to use.
If you’re moving across from Outlook or another calendar app it may take a little time to get used to, but once you’ve adjusted to using Google Calendar, you will never look back.
This tutorial is going to show you how to clear all events from your Google Calendar but will also outline a few other techniques for managing your calendar as well.
One reason you might want to clear all events from your Google Calendar is if you’re importing the events over from Outlook. Sometimes, this migration process from Outlook to Google Calendar creates duplicate events for every imported item so you end up with two of everything.
If you clear all events from your Google Calendar, you still have all your events in Outlook or other app to copy across again.
Clear all events from Google Calendar
Google Calendar is as easy to manage as all the other Google apps but sometimes it takes a little digging around to find certain options. Here are the instructions to clear all events from your Google Calendar on your desktop or laptop computer using a web browser:
- Log into Google Calendar here.
- Click the gear icon in the top right
- Then select Settings from the pull-down menu
- Select the calendar you want to clear from the menu on the lower left-hand side.
- Once you’ve selected a column, scroll down the calendar settings until you find Remove calendar
- Under remove calender click Delete
- You’ll receive a warning that “You are about to permanently delete all the events in <Calendar Name> calendar. This action cannot be undone. Do you wish to continue?”
- Click Permanently Delete
This will delete all the events on the calendar so you can start out fresh.
Create new events in Google Calendar
Once all the events are deleted, you can now create new events on the calendar or import again from Outlook or another calendar app. You can also create a brand new calendar if you prefer.
To create a new calendar, follow these instructions:
- Log into Google Calendar.
- Select the gear icon in the top right
- Select Settings from the pull-down menu
- Click Add calendar from the left menu which will expand to show more options
- Click on Create New Calendar
- Type in a Name and Description for your new calendar.
- Then click Create Calendar
You now have a fresh calendar into which you can import a calendar from Outlook or other applications.
Import Events from Outlook to Google Calendar
If you’re switching from Outlook to Google Calendar, you can quickly import one to the other. It can create double entries but now you know how to clear your calendar, you can retry import until it works.
- Open Outlook and select the Calendar.
- Select Save Calendar from the right and save it as an iCalendar file.
- Select Date Range and set a range of select Whole Calendar.
- Select OK and Save.
- Open Google Calendar and select Settings.
- Select Import & Export in the left menu pane.
- Select file from your computer and import the iCalendar file you just created.
- Select Import and wait for it to complete.
Depending on the size of your Outlook calendar, this could take a few seconds or a minute or two. If you’re lucky, there will be no duplicate entry issue but this process is prone to it.
Create a Calendar Event from Google Search
A neat Google Calendar trick that can save you time is the ability to create a calendar event from within Google Search.
If you use Google as your default search engine you can type in an event and create it directly from search without going directly into your Calendar, though you do have to be logged into your Google account. Follow these instructions to add calendar events from Google Search:
- Type in an event in the Google Search bar. For example, you could enter ‘appointment with the vet at 3:30 pm’.
- Hit search and Google will give you the option to Create Event
- Click Create Event to create the event on your calendar
- You can then edit the event if needed.
Add interest calendars to Google Calendar
While we use Google Calendar to manage work and life, you can also use it to track other events too.
There are a range of options to choose from. I have one that follows the NFL. There are some for other sports and activities too.
- Log into Google Calendar.
- Select the gear icon in the top right and select Settings.
- Select Add calendar from the left menu and select Browse calendars of interest.
- Select an option from the list and check the box next to it to import.
When you go back to your calendar you should see those events added to your main view. I have all the upcoming games within my calendar so I know who is playing whom, where and when. There are options other than football though.
So that’s how to clear all events from Google Calendar. We also covered creating a new calendar, creating events from Google Search, importing from Outlook and adding calendars of interest.
If you want to learn more about how to get the most out of Google Calendar, please check out How To Share your Google Calendar and How To Sync All of Your Google Calendars with the iPhone.
Do you have any Google Calendar tricks and tips to share? If so, please tell us about them below in the comments!