How to Connect AirPods to Apple TV
When one mentions the Apple AirPods, the first thing that usually comes to mind is the iPhone and the Mac. What people usually forget is that the Apple TV can also connect with these great devices to enable you to enjoy private viewing without disturbing anyone. In this article, we’ll show you how to connect your AirPods to the Apple TV.
Connecting the AirPods to Apple TV
The Apple TV is able to connect with Bluetooth devices using its native Bluetooth settings. If both your Apple TV and AirPods are associated with the same Apple ID however, these two devices will sync automatically. This auto sync will forego the need for any additional setup and will make it more convenient to use your AirPods with the Apple TV.
If you’ve yet to associate your AirPods with an Apple ID, you can do this by initiating the setup. You’ll need an iOS device for this, and can be done by following these steps:
With an iPhone
- On your iPhone, go to the Home screen.
- Open your AirPods case while the earpieces are inside, then place them near the device.
- Your iPhone will display a setup animation. Tap on Connect when prompted.
- Follow the instructions as they appear during the setup.
- Tap on Done once setup is over.
- If your iPhone is signed in to iCloud, the AirPods will automatically sync with all devices that are associated with the ID.
If you want to set up your AirPods with a Mac, this can be done either manually or automatically depending on your Mac’s OS. If you have the AirPods Pro, a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15.1 or later will automatically sync with it. Generation Two AirPods will do the same with Macs with macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or later. If your AirPods are the first generation then any Mac with macOS Sierra or later will connect automatically with it as well.
To set up your AirPods with a Mac manually, you can do the following:
- Open the Apple menu by clicking on the Apple icon.
- Navigate to System Preferences then click on it.
- Click on Bluetooth to open the device connection menu.
- If Bluetooth is off, click the option to turn it on. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
- Open the AirPods case lid while the devices are inside.
- Press and hold the button on the back of the case. Wait until the light in the front starts flashing.
- The Devices list on the Bluetooth menu should show your AirPods. Once they’re shown, choose the AirPods then click Connect.
- If the name of your AirPods doesn’t show, try to refresh the list by backing out of the menu then going back in.
Once the AirPods are set up to an Apple ID account, they’ll connect automatically to your Apple TV if they share the same Apple ID.
If you wish to connect your AirPods without associating both devices to the same Apple ID, you can use the Apple TV’s Bluetooth device setup. This can be done by:
- Open the lid of your AirPods case while the earpieces are inside and then push the connect button in the back until the light on the front starts flashing. Your AirPods are now in Discoverable mode.
- On your Apple TV, open the Settings Menu.
- Navigate to Remotes and Devices then click on Bluetooth.
- The list will be populated with all the Bluetooth devices that are detectable in the area. Find and select your AirPods.
- Click on Connect. This will connect the AirPods to the Apple TV without syncing both devices to a single Apple ID.
Do note that you can also connect other non-Apple Bluetooth devices using the same menu. Just make sure that any Bluetooth device that you wish to sync is in discoverable mode once you choose Bluetooth. If you haven’t done that yet, back out of the menu, set your device to discoverable, then navigate back to Settings, Remotes and Devices and Bluetooth. If you cannot find the name of your device on the list, then it may be incompatible or there is an error with the Bluetooth function.
A Fairly Simple Process
Using your AirPods on the Apple TV is a great way to enjoy watching your shows in private without sacrificing sound quality. Connecting both either automatically or manually is a fairly simple process that you can easily take advantage of.
Do you have other tips on how to connect the AirPods to the Apple TV? Share your thoughts in the comments below.