Convert FAT32 to NTFS Without Formatting or Losing Data: Quick Guide
Do you currently have flash drive or external hard drive that you want to convert FAT32 to NTFS without losing data? The reason you would want to convert Fat32 to NTFS on Mac or Windows 7 is because FAT32 doesn’t support files over 4GB.
The main reason it’s recommend to use NTFS file system instead of FAT 32 is because of the stability and security that NTFS has over FAT32. You may want to confert fat32 to ntfs for external drive or even convert fat32 to NTFS for USB Drive us. Unless, you see a message saying “Not enough disk space error” despite disk space being available, then don’t convert Fat32 to NTFS.
There are many software that support this too but the Convert command is one of the easiest ways to do so. Using the following steps you will learn how to convert FAT to NTFS without losing any data.
FAT 32 to NTFS Without Losing Data Steps
- Go to Computer, and note the name of the drive whose file system you wish to convert.
- Select on Start.
- Type cmd in the search bar if you use Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows Vista. If you Windows XP, click on Run and then execute cmd.
- Execute “chkdsk h: /f ” where H is the letter of the drive to undergo conversion.
- Execute “Convert H: /FS:NTFS” (without quotes). H is again the letter of the drive to be converted.
- The command prompt will start the conversion process and after a few minutes, CMD will say that conversion was successful.
- You can check it in the properties of the drive through right click<Properties.
- Close any open programs running on the partition or logical drive to be converted.
- Click the Start button , click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
Once you get to the Command-Line Utility to convert a FAT32 Disk to NTFS. In this example, d is the drive letter you want to convert. For information about optional parameters, type convert /? at the command prompt. This should also work when you want to convert FAT32 to NTFS USB drive.