How to Convert a Live Photo to a Still Image With a Custom Key Photo
I’d say about 98 percent of the Live Photos I’ve taken weren’t intentional. Sometimes I did intend to take a picture, of course, but when I found out that I’d accidentally taken a Live Photo instead…well, I was less than happy. You can always turn off Live Photo for a saved image, but you may not get the exact frame you want in your new still image.
Thankfully, there’s a way to set your own “key photo” for a Live Photo, which means you’ll get the exact frame you want when you convert the Live Photo to a standard image. Here’s how it works.
Convert Live Photo to Still Image
- Open the Photos app on your phone, and then find the Live Photo you want to work with. A quick way to do this is to select Albums from the navigation at the bottom of the screen and then select Live Photos to get a list of all Live Photos on your device.
- Once you’ve found the Live Photo you want to convert, tap to open it and then select Edit from the upper-right corner of the screen.
- When the editing mode launches, you’ll see a slider along the bottom. Tap and drag the slider to select the frame you want to save when you convert your Live Photo to a still image.
- Once your desired frame is selected, tap Make Key Photo.
- Finally, tap the Live button at the top of the screen. This will turn off the Live Photo feature for your image and save the file using the exact frame you selected in Step 3.
The great thing about the iOS Photos app is that your edits are nondestructive. This means that if you ever change your mind and want the Live Photo version of your image back, simply return to the photo, tap Edit and then tap the Off button at the top of the screen to turn Live Photo back on.
So you’re not losing any data by stripping the image down to a single frame. And afterward, you can feel confident that your Great Aunt Edna won’t see the part of the Live Photo where you dropped your phone and yelled something obscene as it fell. Not that I’ve ever had anything like that happen, of course.