How to Create a Zoom Account
With all that’s going on in the world, attending meetings remotely is on the rise. One of the more popular video conferencing tools is Zoom, allowing both video and audio-only conference calls on desktop or mobile.
In this article, we’ll show you how to create a Zoom account and give a few tips on using this very versatile communication tool.
Making an Account
Zoom can be used with or without an account, but to use the full array of features on offer, signing up is a good idea. To do this, proceed to the Zoom webpage and do the following:
- On the upper right corner of the screen, click on the Sign-Up button.
- You’ll be asked to enter your birthdate. Once done, click Continue.
- On the signup page, you’ll be given a choice on how you wish to proceed. You can either use your work email, sign up with your company’s SSO or Single Sign-On ID, or use a Google or Facebook account.
- Once you choose the sign-in method, choose Create Account.
- You’re now signed in, with a fresh new Zoom Account.
If you’re using a mobile device, you can also sign in by first installing the Zoom Cloud meetings app through either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. Once you’re done installing, open the app then follow these steps:
- Tap on Sign Up.
- Enter your date of birth and then tap on Set.
- Enter the email you wish to use.
- The Zoom app will send a verification email to the address that you entered. Open the email and tap on Activate Account to verify. The mobile app doesn’t give you the option to enter a Google or Facebook account, but it will allow you to sign in with one. If you wish to use a company SSO ID, a Google account, or a Facebook profile, sign up using a web browser.
- You’ll be asked a confirmation question and then taken to the account page.
- Create a password for your account then tap on continue.
- If you wish to add other Zoom users, this next screen will ask if you’d like to add them. If you wish, you can skip this step for now.
- You’ll then be directed to the app’s front page.
Using Zoom on Desktop
If you’ve signed up for a Zoom account on a computer, you’ll have to download the client to actually host a meeting. To do this, either click Host a Meeting on the upper right corner of your screen to initiate an automatic client download, or scroll down until you hit the bottom of the page and look for the Download menu.
Once the client is downloaded, click on it to install the application. Click Ok on any notification windows that may pop up.
Once the client is installed, every time you log onto Zoom, you’ll be directed to a Home tab where you’re given several options.
- New Meeting – Starts a meeting immediately. You’ll open a meeting window where you can invite other members that you are connected with.
- Join – As the name implies, it lets you join a meeting already in progress by entering a meeting ID that should be provided by your host.
- Schedule a Meeting – This allows you to schedule meetings in advance, along with the ability to create a waiting room for people who would wish to join.
- Share Screen – This allows people in the meeting to view your computer’s screen. This is useful if you have a presentation that you would like everyone in the meeting to see.
- The Calendar to the right shows any scheduled and upcoming meetings.
Using Zoom on Mobile
Using Zoom on a mobile device is quite similar, and as you have to download the app to sign up on mobile, all you have to do is open the application to start or join a meeting. The mobile app has the same features as the one on desktop, and the buttons on its front page mean the same thing.
The New Normal
Zoom is a very handy conferencing tool especially now that online meetings are becoming the new normal. Knowing how to create a Zoom account gives you access to this convenient way to communicate with your peers.
Have you had any experience in creating and using a Zoom account? Share your thoughts in the comments below.