How to Kick Someone from Private Server in CSGO
Counterstrike, and its newest iteration, Global Offensive, is one of the most popular team-based first person shooting games out there. This popularity means that it attracts all kinds of players, both good and bad. During those times that you encounter those unsavory people, the game itself offers ways to deal with them and keep your game free from stress.
How to Kick Players on a Private Server or Match
If you’re playing on a private server, assuming that you have admin controls, the simplest way to kick a player is to type in a console command to do so. To do this, do the following:
- Open the console command window. This is bound to the tilde key, or ~ by default.
- Type in kick + username of player that you want to kick out.
- Push enter to execute command.
- The player should then be removed from the game.
If you do not have admin controls and want to ask other players to kick a particular player, you can initiate a vote. This will then open a yes or no vote to all players. If the majority votes to remove a player then they will be removed. To initiate the command, do the following:
- Open the console command window.
- Enter status.
- From the list of players, find the name of the player. Remember the numbers that appear after # before their name.
- Type in callvote kick + player number
- Press Enter.
- Wait for the other players to vote y or n.
- Once all votes have been made, a majority of yes votes will remove said player from the game.
The vote can also be initiated without having to open the console. Just press, ESC during the game, then choose callvote, then choose Kick Player. The voting should occur similar to the console command.
Are There other Commands to Deal with Rowdy Players?
If you want to ignore players without going to the extremes of removing them from the game, there are several console commands that you can use to silence any communication from them. These commands are:
- voice_mute [player number] – this will mute the player whose name is entered after the command. No communication through voice chat will be possible from the player when this is done.
- voice_show_mute – this gives you a list of players that can be muted with the voice_mute command.
- voice_unmute [player number] – this will restore voice chat for a player that was muted by the voice_mute command.
- voice_reset_mutelist – this will umute all players that have been silenced by the voice_mute command.
- cl_mute_all_but_friends_and_party [0/1]– this will mute all players that aren’t on your Steam Friends list, or are in your party. Entering 0 after the command disables it, entering 1 enables the command. This command is disabled by default.
- cl_mute_enemy_team [0/1] – this will mute all members of the enemy team. 0 disables the command, while 1 enables it. This is disabled in the game by default.
Why Can’t I Use the Console Commands?
If you’re using the tilde button and the console command window doesn’t show up, you may have the feature disabled. Although console commands are enabled by default, there are plenty of reasons why they can be locked. To enable the feature, do the following:
- Open your Steam Launcher and then open Library.
- Scroll to find the game in the left menu, then right click on the game title.
- Click on Properties.
- On the General Tab, click on the Set Launch Options button.
- On the window that appears, type in console.
- Click Ok.
- Launch the game, and it should open the console menu during launch.
Alternatively, you can enable the console options in the game itself by doing the following:
- Open CSGO.
- On the menu above, click on Options.
- Choose Game Settings.
- On the menu that appears, search for Enable Developer Console, and choose Yes.
- Click on the Home button. The settings should be automatically changed.
If you want to rebind the Console Command Key to something other than tilde, you can follow these steps:
- On the main menu of CSGO, click on Options.
- Click on Keyboard/Mouse.
- On the menu that appears, scroll down to the bottom and find Toggle Console.
- Click on the text box beside it. You’ll then be asked to press the button to which you want the console command to be bound to.
- Once you’re done, click on the Home button. Your choice should be automatically saved.
- You can now use the bound button to open the Console Command Window.
Taking a Time Out
Because of the nature of the game, CSGO can become rather heated at times. Some find these situations as just a natural part of competing, and some take advantage of it to further antagonize everyone. It is during these situations that the commands to both kick or mute others become useful. If a game loses the fun factor because of a single player, then maybe it’s time for them to take a time out.
Do you know of other ways to kick someone from a private server on CSGO? Share your thoughts on the comment section below.