How To Delete All Comments on YouTube
It’s an understatement to say that YouTube comments have a bad rap on the internet. They tend to be seen as inflammatory, crude, and pointless.
If you’re lucky, it’s possible to have valuable discussions on YouTube. You can find thoughtful or touching discussions about videos that you enjoy. Some channels have a dedicated community of enthusiastic commenters.
But it’s far too easy to get into pointless arguments on this platform. You’re likely to run into people arguing in bad faith. Violent language is difficult to avoid. There is also a large number of marketing bots leaving irrelevant comments.
All in all, it’s not surprising that many people get fed up with YouTube comments. If this is the case for you, you might want to delete all your comments made on this platform. Or if you’re a content creator, you can delete the comments others have left on your channel.
Getting Rid Of Every Comment You’ve Ever Made On YouTube
It’s generally simple to remove the comments you’ve left on any YouTube channel. The only exception is comments made before Google took over YouTube back in 2006.
How do you view and delete your comments? Here are two approaches you can take.
Use Your Comment History
To see every comment you’ve made on this site, access your Comment History page here: https://www.youtube.com/feed/history/comment_history
To delete an individual comment, do the following:
- Find the comment in your history
- Select More (Three Horizontal Dots Icon)
- Select Delete
- Confirm that you want to delete it permanently
Unfortunately, there is no option to bulk delete comments from your history. If you want to get rid of everything you’ve ever said on this platform, you’ll either need to continue doing this to each and every one of your comments or opt for a different approach and make some changes to your channel.
Hide Your Channel
YouTube gives you the option to hide your channel. This is a temporary measure and it hides your content, your name, as well as your subscriptions and likes. You can re-enable the channel at any time. Hiding your channel doesn’t affect anything you do with your Google account on other platforms.
But when you go through this process, there is an unexpected upside. All the comments you’ve ever made get deleted. Unlike the other changes, this deletion is permanent.
It’s enough to keep your channel hidden for a few minutes. When you re-enable it, all your past comments will be gone. What steps should you take to hide your YouTube channel?
- Sign in to YouTube. If you own multiple accounts, make sure you’re signed in with the right one.
- Click on Your Profile. Select your profile pic in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on Advanced Account. You can also access this option by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/account_advanced
- Scroll down and select “Delete channel”. When you select this option, you may need to reenter your Google account address and password. Clicking this button isn’t going to delete your channel permanently.
- Select “I want to hide my channel”. On some versions of YouTube, the same option may be labeled “I want to hide my content”.
- I want to hide my channel. After you click on this, YouTube will show you exactly what you can expect if you go through with hiding your channel.
- Check every option on the list. The list notes that comments made directly with Google+ won’t get deleted. But other than that, hiding your channel will permanently remove all of your YouTube comments from all channels. Your likes and subscriptions are only temporarily hidden. When you’ve gone through the checklist, click on HIDE MY CHANNEL.
This is all you have to do to get rid of your comments. Now, it’s time to reactivate your account:
7. Sign in to YouTube with Your Google Account
8. Go to Create a Channel
Follow this URL: http://www.youtube.com/create_channel
9. Fill Out the Form
Make sure you don’t click on “To use a business or other name, click here.” After all, you’re not looking to make an entirely new channel.
This process should reinstate your channel. After this, you can make your videos viewable from Video Manager.
Deleting Comments Made By Other People
If you are a content creator, it’s a good idea to make use of YouTube’s comment moderation options. You can exert some control over the kind of comments you allow on your channel. For example, it’s possible to filter out anything that comes with an outgoing link or a hashtag.
What if you want to delete someone else’s comment on your channel?
Simply select the three dots icon beside the comment. You can choose to report the commenter for inappropriate content or you can hide their comments from the channel.
Click on “Delete” to remove their comment, and note that this causes all responses to that comment to disappear too.
So what can you do if you aren’t the original commenter or the owner of the video? If there is content on YouTube that violates the company’s community guidelines, you can file a report. Upon an investigation, the comment may or may not be removed.
- Locate the video and reveal the comments
- Tap on the three vertical dots and tap or click on them
- Select ‘Report’ from the pop-up menu
- Choose one of the following options
- Tap ‘Report’ in the lower corner of the pop-up
The following are your choices for reporting the content:
- “Unwanted commercials, content, or spam
- Pornography or explicit materials
- Hate or Graphic Speech
- Harassment or bullying
You may not have the same options to delete comments as you would if you were the poster, but YouTube does attempt to protect others from harmful speech.
A Final Thought
Getting rid of your own comments is a great way to start anew on YouTube. It can be a great feeling to delete embarrassing or overly personal comments you made years ago. Remember that this platform is much easier to use when you take control of your own experiences and limit the number of people you interact with.