Discord is a great app for communicating with your friends and creating a tight-knit community, but managing your own Discord server isn’t always a cakewalk.
Managing old messages is one of the administrative headaches of running an active Discord server, particularly when you need to delete negative or otherwise unacceptable messages.
While a lot of people use Discord for its voice chat feature, the platform’s text chat capabilities are also incredibly popular. Though Discord is a gaming-focused app, the text chat feature has become increasingly popular at the enterprise level, making it more relevant.
Depending on the size of your Discord server, your text chat can become filled with thousands of messages. Whether you want to delete all messages to get rid of inappropriate ones or just want to wipe the slate clean, it’s important to know the easiest way to do it.
In this article, I will show you how to manage your Discord server’s message backlog, including how to get rid of all your messages.
Types of Text Messaging in Discord
Discord has two distinct types of text messages: Direct Messages, which are private conversations between two users, and channel messages, which are text chat shared within the entire group on a particular channel.
Each type of message works in different ways and has different rules. When Discord was first released, administrators could delete messages in bulk within the native UI of the app. This caused database problems because too many admins were mass-deleting messages at the same time.
As a result, bulk-deletion functionality was removed from the native UI. While it may not be as easy as it was before, it is still possible to delete all of your Discord server’s messages.
How to Delete Direct Messages in Discord
To delete a Direct Message in Discord, you can close the chat panel or erase the specific message so that it disappears from your history. Here’s how to erase direct messages.
- Right-click on the user you’ve exchanged Direct Messages with and select Message.
- In the Direct Message panel on the left side of the screen, hover over the conversation and click the X that appears.
- The conversation goes away, at least on your end. Note that there is no confirmation dialog, so don’t go clicking the X on conversations you might want to keep.
If you just want to hide a few Direct Message conversations, that’s all there is to it. If you need to delete channel messages, continue reading to see how to do so.
How to Delete Channel Messages in Discord
Unlike Direct Messages, channel messages can be deleted using a few different methods.
Here are three ways to delete channel messages in Discord.
Method #1: Manual Deletion
The first way is to manually delete the message. Here’s how:
- Open the text channel that has the message that you want to delete.
- Hover over the message until the three-dot icon appears on the far right. Click on the icon, then select Delete from the menu.
- A window will open, prompting you to confirm your selection. Click the Delete button.
This works fine if you just have a few problematic messages to get rid of, but it is obviously not suitable for removing large quantities of text messages.
If you need to delete bulk messages, you’ll have use one of the following methods below.
Method #2: Use a Discord Bot
There are a lot of bots to choose from that feature a bulk-delete option. However, the MEE6 bot is the current favorite amongst server admins. Installing the MEE6 bot is relatively simple.
- Log into your Discord server.
- Navigate to the MEE6 website.
- Select Add to Discord
- Click Authorize to allow the bot to work on your server.
- Select the appropriate server.
- Select Continue in the popup window to link the MEE6 bot to your Discord server.
- MEE6 will then ask you to grant specific permissions so that it can delete messages. Click the Authorize button.
- For user verification, click the box in the captcha window and follow the verification prompts.
To delete messages in your Discord chat app, use the following commands.
- Use ‘!clear @username’ to delete a specific user’s previous 100 messages.
- Use ‘!clear 500’ to delete the last 500 messages on the channel.
- You can also change the number to reflect how many messages you want to delete, up to 1,000.
This is by far the easiest method for deleting a large number of messages at once.
Method #3: Clone the Channel
If the MEE6 alternative doesn’t work for you, the final way to delete all messages is to clone the channel. This process creates a fresh copy without the channel’s old message history.
NOTE: Be sure to make a list of the bots you have on the channel because cloning doesn’t always copy them over to the new channel.
- Right-click on the channel you want to clone.
- Select Clone Channel.
- Rename the cloned channel if you wish.
- Click on Create Channel.
- Delete the old channel.
- Open the new cloned version and add any bots you require.
Cloning a channel will also add users from the old one, and it will recreate everyone’s permissions. This process makes it much easier than creating a new channel from scratch. Now, all the messages in the old channel are gone, and your new channel has the same settings.
That’s it! Enjoy your lean, clean messaging machine!
Are you having a problem with another Discord user? Here’s how to report someone on Discord.