How To Delete your Amazon Account
For whatever reason, you’ve decided that you want to permanently delete your Amazon account from existence. People might have a variety of different reasons for doing so from moving to a country where Amazon doesn’t support shipping or issues with Amazon’s business practices or their controversial HR policies. With all the sensitive information that your account contains, it’s probably a good idea to remove it if you no longer plan to use it. Just make sure you understand exactly what complete deletion entails and if you’re 100% certain it’s what you want to do moving forward.
What Happens When You Close Your Amazon Account
Once you decide to close your account it will no longer be accessible by you or anyone else. This includes the employees and support staff at Amazon. So if you close your account and then feel you made a mistake, well you’re simply going to have to make a new one.
This also doesn’t stop at just your basic account where you purchase a few products during those awesome Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. It means everything. A shortlist of the things you’ll no longer be able to access once your account is lost:
- Other sites that used or required an Amazon account such as Mechanical Turks, Associates, Web Services, Author Central, Kindle Direct Publishing or Amazon Pay accounts.
- Digital content related to Amazon Music, Amazon Drive and/or Prime Photos, or your Amazon Appstore purchases. This includes Prime videos and Kindle purchases. All content will be deleted and unrecoverable.
- All reviews, discussion posts, and customer images that you received or are responsible for.
- Your account history which includes your credit card information, order history, etc.
- Unprocessed returns or refunds.
- Any remaining Amazon.com Gift Card or promotional credit balance that currently resides in your account.
If you can live without everything stated above, then we can look toward having your account closed.
How to Close My Amazon Account Permanently
Having your Amazon account closed isn’t as cut and dry as most other website accounts. You’re not necessarily jumping through hoops but closing out an Amazon account does take a few more steps before being removed and providing peace of mind.
To close your account:
- You’re going to have to be on the Amazon.com website itself of course. Once there, make sure you log in to the account you want to delete. You can do this by hovering over the Account & Lists with your cursor and selecting Sign in. Enter the information for your account and click Sign In.
- Once signed in to your current account, ensure there are no outstanding orders currently active on your account. If you wish, you can cancel any and all purchases that have not yet shipped. You will not be able to close out your account until this has been completed. To cancel any orders you may have, click on Orders at the top-right of the home page. Select Open Orders and once the orders are pulled up, click Cancel Order to the right of each order, finishing off with Cancel selected items on the right side of the screen.
- You won’t find “Cancel/Deactivate Account” anywhere you look on the site. In order to finally get the process underway, you’ll need to scroll to the bottom of the page to the footer and click on Help in the “Let Us Help You” section.
- Scroll down the page to “Browse Help Topics” and select Need More Help? at the bottom of the lefthand column. This will display new options in the right side box. Click Contact Us.
- Underneath “What can we help you with?” select Prime or Something Else.
- Click on <Please make a selection> and select Login and security from the drop-down.
- In the second <Please make a selection> box appearing just below the first, click it and select Close my account. At this point, you’re probably thinking this might be the end, but you’d be wrong.
- Move down to the How would you like to contact us? section and choose your contact option of choice. The options presented are Email, Phone, or Chat. You’ll now need to wait until a member of the support staff contacts you via your choice.
- If you choose Email, you’ll need to type in a reason for deleting your account and click the Send E-mail button.
If you choose Phone, you’ll be required to provide a contact number in the space near “Your number” and then click Call me now.
If you choose Chat, you’ll need to wait in queue for a customer service representative to contact you directly. Depending on the time of day, this can actually be the fastest option.
Regardless of the way you choose to be contacted, the end result will still be an email providing you an ETA for account deletion. The timeframe will usually land between 12 and 48 hours although some lucky folks have had their’s deleted almost immediately.