How to Delete Chromecast from YouTube
Do you have a Chromecast device? If you’ve connected it to YouTube, that little Cast icon will keep popping up when you open the YouTube app on your phone. This might cause some embarrassing situations. If you accidentally cast to your living room TV, your family might find out that you secretly listen to Justin Bieber or watch reality shows!
Want to get rid of the cast icon? Get your YouTube app ready and follow the instructions in this article.
Removing the Cast Button from the YouTube App
There are multiple ways to disconnect your Chromecast device from the YouTube app. Using your Android smartphone or an iOS device will help you do it in no time.
1. Google Settings
The first method might be the simplest. You can access casting options via Google settings and disable the device. Here’s what to do:
- On your smartphone, open the Settings app.
- Scroll down to find Google and tap to open.
- Among Google services, you’ll see Google Cast – select it.
- Under Notification options, there’s the Show remote control notifications option. Switch the toggle next to it to Off.
- The Cast button on YouTube will no longer be visible.
2. Cast Media Controls
Another method disables the automatic casting to a TV. You’ll still be able to see the Cast icon, but the videos won’t appear on the TV without you approving it. You’ll need to confirm your choice in a pop-up window.
- Open the Settings app and find Google.
- Tap to open it and select Cast media controls.
- Uncheck the box next to Media controls for Cast devices.
3. Disable Streaming Devices
There are other ways you can stop Chromecast from streaming every time you use YouTube.
For instance, you can use a TV code to delete Chromecast from the list of paired devices.
- Launch YouTube on your phone.
- Open Settings and choose the Watch on TV option.
- Under Link with TV code, tap on the Enter TV code option.
- Enter the code you’ll see on the screen and go back to Watch on TV.
- Select Delete Devices and find Chromecast.
- Select Delete once more to confirm your choice.
This way, Chromecast won’t be able to automatically stream to your TV even if you accidentally tap the cast icon in YouTube.
4. YouTube Vanced App
Some internet users recommend the YouTube Vanced app, which is compatible with Android smartphones. But you’ll have to look up the download link on Google, as it’s not available on Google Play Store. Users claim this app has some quite useful features. In case other ways of disabling Chromecast on YouTube don’t work, you can install it to remove the cast icon.
5. Stopping Others from Managing Your Casts
When you connect a Chromecast to a network, everyone with a device connected to the same network can see the cast icon on their YouTube app. This might be tricky because you can’t stop them from casting to a TV, even if you want to watch videos in private. Here’s how to disable this option using Google Home:
- Launch Google Home on your phone.
- Select Devices from the upper right corner.
- Find the device you’d like to prevent from managing the casting.
- Select the menu icon and find the Device info section.
- Switch the toggle next to Let others control your casted media to off.
- Repeat this for each device you’d like to disable.
How to Use Chromecast to Watch YouTube Videos
Are you having trouble casting from YouTube, and that’s why you’d like to remove the cast icon? If you’ve just got your Chromecast and want to try it out with YouTube, the steps below should help. Check them out before you delete Chromecast from this app.
You can use it both on your computer and your mobile device.
If you want to stream from your computer:
- Launch a browser and open the YouTube official website.
- Open a video you’d like to cast, and you’ll see the cast button below the video.
- If the icon doesn’t appear, make sure both Chromecast and your mobile device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Select the cast icon and choose the device you want to cast on. The video will show on the selected device.
- When you’re done casting, select the cast icon in your browser (it’s next to the search tab) and click on Stop casting.
To cast from your mobile device, do this:
- Open the YouTube app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android smartphone.
- You’ll see the cast button in the upper right corner.
- Tap this button, and you’ll see the list of nearby devices.
- Select the desired device.
- A Ready to cast message will appear below.
- After you choose a video and select Play, it will cast on the device you’ve picked.
- When you want to stop casting, tap the cast icon at the top of the video and choose Stop casting from the pop-up window.
There are several ways to stop unwanted casts. Before you remove your Chromecast device from the YouTube app or disconnect it from Google Home apps, try controlling what others can do with it. Disabling your household members from casting without your approval might be a better option than removing the possibility to cast altogether.
Which fix will work best in your case? Let us know in the comments section below.