How to Delete Your Facebook Account
With only an email address, or a phone number, and some other personal information, it is easy to sign-up for a free account on Facebook. The Social Network (this is a reference to the title of a 2010 movie about Facebook) has grown in popularity since it was introduced in 2005.
And with over a billion active monthly users, Facebook is indeed the most popular social media site of all time. But what if the novelty has worn off and Facebook’s just not enjoyable for you anymore?
Or maybe you have an extra Facebook account you want to delete? Or maybe you’re just tired of the influx of sketchy news, celebrity gossip, and Facebook friend drama.
Whatever the reason may be, it’s pretty simple to delete your Facebook account. First, consider that if you don’t download it, you’ll lose all the information you have on Facebook.
Download Your Facebook Data Including Photos
A lot of people have used Facebook as a sort of a photo archive of sorts and would not want to lose all those photos and other data. So before you delete your account, download a copy of your Facebook information, using Facebook’s Download Your Information tool. You’ll want to use a web browser for these steps rather than the mobile app:
- First, click on the small downward pointing arrow found the right of the Facebook interface.
- then select Settings from the pull-down menu.
- In the left hand navigation column, click on Download Your Facebook Information.
- Then click Download Your Information.
- Check or uncheck the checkboxes to choose what information you want to download.
- Just above “your information” you’ll find other options: Date Range, Format, and Media Quality.
- Click Create File.
After you click Create File, your request will be Pending in the Available Files section of Download Your Information. It may take from a few hours to a few days for your request to be completed.
You’ll receive a notification from Facebook when your information files is ready.
- In the Download Your Information tool, click the Available Files tab.
- Click Download and enter your password to start the download.
Now that you’ve completed the download of the information from your Facebook profile you want to save, you can delete your Facebook account without losing information and photos you care about.
How to Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account
- Click the downward pointed arrow in the upper right side of the Facebook interface.
- Click Settings C
- lick Your Facebook Information in the left column.
- Next, click Deactivation and Deletion.
- Choose Delete Account
- Click Continue to Account Deletion then
- Enter your password
- Click Continue
- Finally, click Delete Account.
Now you’ve permanently deleted your Facebook account.
If you enjoyed this TechJunkie article, you might also enjoy these articles:
- How to See Who Viewed Your Facebook Page
- How to Download & Save Facebook Videos [October 2019]
- How to Play YouTube With Phone Locked
Are you considering permanently deleting your Facebook account? If so, what are your reasons? Did you download your Facebook information first? Tell us about your experiences in the comments below!