How to Delete Locations from AccuWeather
Being one of the most popular weather reporting services today, AccuWeather is available on almost every platform imaginable. Regardless of region, it’s almost certain you’ll get a fairly reliable, up-to-date forecast.
If you browse certain locations out of curiosity though, AccuWeather will keep reporting on them. Some might find it annoying to keep seeing the forecast for places they don’t actually track on a daily basis. If you have such an issue, this article will help you resolve it.
Deleting Unwanted Locations
Since AccuWeather is available on multiple platforms, deleting locations is slightly different for each one. The breakdown below provides information for both desktop and mobile AccuWeather websites, as well as Android and iOS mobile apps.
When you search for different locations using AccuWeather website, it will keep tracking the forecast for your last five choices. To see which locations the website tracks at the moment, you can use the current location bar. It’s in the upper part of the page, right below the main navigation menu.
For example, the current location bar might look like this: United States Weather > New York, NY 78⁰F. On the right end of this text, you’ll notice an arrow pointing downwards. Once you click it, it will show the last five locations you’ve searched for. This menu essentially allows you to quickly switch between them, which is a quite convenient feature.
Since this is done automatically, you can’t manually remove the unwanted locations. What you can do is search for the locations you might find relevant for you, and keep them hidden in the drop-down menu.
If you want to remove all of them completely, you’ll need to clear your browser’s cookies. There are two ways to do this. You can either delete all cookies from the website, or you can do it selectively, removing only AccuWeather ones.
Selective removal of cookies is done pretty much the same browser to browser. Here’s how it’s done in Google Chrome:
- Open the Chrome browser on your computer.
- Click the “More” button in the top right corner. It’s the three vertical dots icon.
- Click “Settings”.
- In the left-side menu, click “Privacy and security”.
- In the main portion of the screen click “Site Settings”.
- Click “Cookies and site data”.
- Click “See all cookies and site data”.
- In the top right corner you’ll see the search field. Click it and enter “accuweather”.
- The list of results will appear for AccuWeather. To clear only these cookies, click the trash can icon next to each entry associated with the website.
Once it’s done, close the “Settings” browser tab and all the recent locations you looked for will be gone from the AccuWeather website.
While identical in content with the desktop website, mobile version displays only the last three locations you’ve searched for. You can see them at the top of the page, right beneath the website’s search bar. Of course, these locations will change with every search you make, showing you only the last three.
To remove the recent locations, you’ll also have to delete cookies for your mobile browser as well. If you don’t want to mess around with other sites’ cookies, you can remove only those from AccuWeather.
Again, here’s an example of how this works on Google Chrome mobile browser, which is slightly different compared to the desktop version.
- Open www.accuweather.com in the Chrome browser on your mobile device.
- Tap the three dots menu in the top right corner.
- Tap “Settings”.
- Scroll down to the “Advanced” section.
- Tap “Site settings”.
- Tap “Cookies”.
- Tap “ADD SITE EXCEPTION”.
- Enter www.accuweather.com
- Tap “Add”.
- AccuWeather address will now show up in the “Blocked” section. Tap the AccuWeather entry.
- Now tap the “Clear & reset” button.
- Confirm by tapping “Clear & reset”.
- This action will both remove the AccuWeather website from the “Blocked” list and will delete all the related cookies.
- Tap the “Back” button in the top left corner several times until you return to AccuWeather website.
- Refresh the website and you’ll see that the locations based on your recent searches are gone.
Managing the AccuWeather locations on iOS is quite simple. Wherever the AccuWeather location is displayed, simply tap the location name to open the Location Management menu. To delete any unwanted locations, tap and hold the location name. When the menu appears, tap “Delete” and you’re done.
Please keep in mind that you won’t be able to delete your current location.
Similar to iOS, removing locations on the AccuWeather Android app is super easy as well. Open the AccuWeather app on your mobile device and tap the menu icon (three horizontal lines). In the location list, tap and hold the name of the location you want to remove. When the trash can icon appears, click it to delete the location.
If you accidentally delete a location you didn’t want to remove, you can tap the “Undo” button. It will appear right after you delete a location. Please note that in order to delete a location, the location list must contain at least two locations. And this doesn’t include your current location determined by GPS.
After you’ve successfully removed any unwanted locations from AccuWeather, it’s time to add those relevant to you. If you don’t want to keep any recent locations though, it’s a simple matter of deleting cookies either for AccuWeather or the entire browser.
Have you managed to successfully delete AccuWeather locations? How do you usually access the weather forecast? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.