How To Delete a Single Instagram Photo from a Post with Multiple Images
Instagram, the wildly popular image sharing social media app, greatly pleased its users back in 2017 when it rolled out a new feature enabling the inclusion of multiple images and/or videos in a single Instagram post. This allowed content creators to tell a complete story with a series of images, or to provide a wide variety of images for a single subject. The feature wasn’t formally named by Instagram, but the user community quickly coalesced on “carousel posts” as the way to reference this helpful feature.
However, one question quickly arose within the community: is it possible to delete a single photo or video from a carousel post?
Unfortunately, the answer to this remains a flat “no”. The only way to delete an image or video from a carousel post is to delete the whole post. We have searched the Internet chatrooms, the Instagram help files, the technical boards, and we have not been able to find any hack, third-party app, or hidden technique to accomplish this task.
However, there are a lot of other things you can do with images in Instagram, and in this article I will show you some of the best ways to handle your image library in the app.
How to add multiple images to an Instagram post
Instagram’s user interface isn’t always perfectly intuitive, and if you’re not sure how to make a post with multiple images, here’s a complete walkthrough to show you how to do it.
- Click the “+” icon in the bottom center to start a new post from the Instagram home screen.
- Select the “Select Multiple” icon at the bottom of the page.
- Select up to ten images or videos. The order you select them in is the order in which they will appear.
- Select “Next”.
- You can apply filters to all the images you selected, or individually select the images for editing and filtering with the “Edit” button.
- When you’re finished making changes, select “Next”.
- Finally, you can add a caption, tag people, add your location, or set additional posting options, and make any settings changes you wish. After that, just select “Share”.
You now have a carousel post on your Instagram feed!
Delete a single Instagram image
Getting rid of a single image post on Instagram is very straightforward.
- Open Instagram and select the Home icon.
- Scroll down your feed to the image post you want to delete.
- Select the three dot menu icon in the top right.
- Select “Delete”.
Delete multiple Instagram images
If you want to delete multiple images at once, unfortunately this is another area where Instagram’s built-in functionality is going to let you down. However, in this instance, the add-on community for Instagram, which produces a wide variety of third-party apps to overcome the limitations of Instagram’s rather clunky user interface, comes to your rescue. Here is a quick overview of the third-party app that will let you delete multiple images at once.
Cleaner for Instagram
Cleaner for Instagram is an Android app (there is also an iOS version) that provides a wide variety of functionality, including mass unfollows, mass block and unblock, and mass delete posts. The app is free for the first 50 mass actions you take, but charges a fee for more actions.
Delete an Instagram Carousel Post
For those who want to delete an Instagram post with multiple images to get rid just one image, the process is just the same as it is for Instagram posts with a single image.
- Open the post containing the images you want to delete.
- Select the three dot menu icon in the top right of the screen.
- Select “Delete” and confirm.
This will delete the entire Instagram post, including the image(s) you wanted to get rid of to begin with. You can now create a new carousel post using the photos you wanted to keep, so you and your followers don’t miss out on anything important.
Hide Instagram images instead of deleting them
The Instagram archive function isn’t so well known but is a very effective way to hide your old images without having to delete them. If they are the only copies of the images you have and you don’t want to lose them, this is a way of keeping them without them being on display.
- Select the post you want to archive.
- Select the three-dot menu icon in the top right.
- Select “Archive”.
- Go back to your Instagram profile.
- Select the three-lines menu in the top right corner.
- Select “Archive” from the list of options
- From there, you’ll either see all of your Instagram stories or all of your archived Instagram posts. If you see your stories instead of your archived posts, tap the word “Archive” at the top of the screen and choose “Posts” from the drop-down menu.
- To restore an archived post to your Instagram profile, select it in the Archive, select the three-dot menu in the top right of the post, and choose “Show on Profile”.
There have been a few reports that archives disappear if you temporarily shut down your Instagram account. I have never seen it first hand but it is something to be aware of if you use this function and decide to take a time out.
If you learn of a way to delete a single Instagram photo from a carousel post, whether it be an add-on app or a technique within Instagram itself, please let us know about it in the comments section below!
More Ways To Control Your Instagram:
Wonder about your intellectual property? Here’s our explainer on whether Instagram owns the content that you post.
We’ve got a good guide on how to use hashtags in Instagram.
Need to modify that post? Here’s how you can change an Instagram story after posting it.
Here’s our tutorial on how to tell who blocked you on Instagram.
If you have privacy concerns, you’ll want to see our article on whether Instagram keeps your deleted messages.