Demonetized by YouTube? – What You Can Do
Getting a video demonetized by YouTube can be a stressful experience. This is especially true if you had a high-earning video that you were counting on in your budget plan. There are two things you can do when disaster strikes – file an appeal or find an alternative way to finance yourself. Here’s a word or two about each approach.
File an Appeal
First, when your video gets demonetized, you will receive an email from YouTube notifying you of demonetization. The email will shortly explain that your video was judged not to be advertiser-friendly. If you disagree with YouTube’s decision, you can file an appeal.
If you decide to take this route, navigate to your channel’s dashboard and click the “Help” link at the bottom of the screen. You will see a screen with contact options listed. Select the “Email” option.
Next, the Contact Partner Support screen will open. There, several options will be listed under “How can we help you?”. Click the “Monetization and AdSense” radio button.
If you’re complaining about a specific video, check the “Yes” radio button when asked “Is your issue about a specific video?”. Enter the video’s 11-character ID in the “Video ID” section. Make sure to explain all the details about why you think YouTube made a mistake by demonetizing your video.
Optionally, you can check the “Automatically include a screenshot of your current page” button. Also, you can opt to highlight the areas of the page relevant to your feedback and blackout any personal info. It is a good idea to do this. Finally, click the “Send” button.
You should receive a response informing you that your video or videos are up for review in a few days. If YouTube demonetized them by mistake, they will be re-monetized. If, however, they don’t get re-monetized, you’ll have to take steps to improve their advertiser-friendly status.
Try to Improve Your Advertiser-Friendly Status
If you decide to make your videos more advertiser-friendly, make sure to follow YouTube’s monetization guidelines down to a T. That means getting rid of insulting language, violence, inappropriate words, and other unwanted pieces of content. Also, you’ll have to comb through the comments and filter out any that are potentially harmful.
After you’ve cleaned up your video, you might want to reapply for monetization. If it fails, you should consider alternative ways of funding.
Alternatives to YouTube
If your videos remain demonetized after you’ve filed a complaint and tried to remove any inappropriate content and comments, you might want to consider alternative ways to fund your career. There are many online platforms that offer crowd-funding and advertising options. Patreon, Flattr, and Rumble are all good options.
Patreon is a micro-financing platform that lets fans, also called patrons, give small donations to their favorite artists and creators. The platform was launched in May 2013 and quickly rose to prominence as one of the best and the most stable micro-financing options for up-and-coming artists and content creators.
Patreon takes a 5% commission from every payment a creator receives, and the remaining 95% goes to the creator. When you open your account, you’ll be able to set your minimum monthly goal or even a maximum amount you’re willing to make per month. Also, you can set up membership tiers.
If you don’t like the idea of monthly payments, you can set the payments options to be per video instead of per month. The quality and the appropriateness of the content are monitored by the platform’s trust and safety team.
Flattr is a micro-funding platform as well, though it works a bit differently than Patreon.
With a registered account, you’ll be able to receive donations from multiple donators. To give you a one-time donation, a registered user of Flattr clicks the “Flattr” button on the page you’ve published your content on.
The amount you get from them that month depends on the budget they’ve set up and the number of artists they Flattr’d during the month. If you’re the only one, you’ll get the entire sum. If not, everyone gets an equal share. If a fan clicks twice on your Flattr button, that will make them a monthly subscriber to your content.
Rumble is a video advertising service founded in 2013. The platform uses an AI to decide which videos get monetized before they’re published. The same AI decides which advertisers are right for the said videos and how much money the videos will make.
In 2017, Rumble ranked among the top 50 video streaming and sharing sites, with around 100 million active users. The platform takes a 40% commission from each ad. If they’re accepted for upload, your Rumble videos get advertised to AOL, Yahoo, MSN, and other advertising platforms.
Getting demonetized is by no means a pleasant experience. But with the methods explained in this video, you’ll be prepared for every possibility.