How To Make Desktop Icons Smaller in Windows 10
One of the best things about Windows is that you can customize it almost infinitely to look and feel just how you want. While the default settings are pretty good, there is always room for improvement. So, how do you configure your computer to suit your particular needs? This tutorial walks you through how to make desktop icons smaller, as well as how to move, change, and remove them.
What are Windows Icons?
Icons are a primary way that people interact with computers. They are “graphical” representations of commands that hide the code of which they execute. Double-clicking an icon makes Windows interpret the action as a command. It runs the file’s code in the background, executes the command, and then opens the program or follows the code’s instructions.
Make Desktop Icons Smaller or Larger in Windows 10
To make desktop icons smaller in Windows 10, you can choose from three predefined defaults or use your mouse’s scroll wheel.
Option 1: Choose from Three Default Sizes
- Right-click on an empty area within your Windows 10 desktop.
- Select View and choose one of the presets, Small, Medium, or Large. Select whichever one looks best to you.
Option 2: Use Your Mouse’s Scroll Wheel or Laptop’s/Tablet’s Touchpad
To resize desktop icons using your PC mouse, follow these steps:
- Hover the mouse on an empty place on the desktop.
- Hold Ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel forward and backward to change the size of the icons. For laptops and tablets, the resizing process is performed using two fingers, pinching in or out.
- Each wheel click represents one size up or one size down. Select whichever works best for you.
To resize desktop icons using your laptop’s touchpad or touchscreen, follow these steps:
- To shrink icons, place two fingers (usually your thumb and index) on the touchpad, and then move them together to reduce the size gradually.
- To enlarge icons, use the same fingers (or any that you want), and slide them away from each other.
Resizing Windows 10 icons with the mouse wheel, touchpad, or touchscreen offers more control because they aren’t restricted to three presets. You can use these three options to find the perfect icon size for your desktop.
Adjust Text Size, Apps, and Other Items
If you’re into customizing your desktop, you can also change the size of the text, app icons, and other items using one simple setting, as shown above, and below.
- Navigate to Settings -> System -> Display.
- Change the slider underneath ‘Change the size of text…’
- Slide it up to make everything larger or down to make it smaller.
- Select Apply once you’re happy.
Your screen resolution will remain the same, but the items displayed will increase or decrease in size based on your chosen setting. It’s primarily designed to make things on the screen easier to see, but it is useful in other applicable ways too!
Text resizing works with most but not all Windows apps. If they are fully compatible with Windows 10, they will work. If they are not, Windows may try to rescale them to fit or will leave it alone.
Adjust Icon Size within Windows Explorer
You can also change how files and folders appear within Windows 10 File Explorer.
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Select View from the top menu.
- Select a setting directly underneath in the ribbon menu that appears.
- You can also use the Ctrl and mouse scroll wheel trick again if you prefer.
As you can see from the above information, there are infinite sizing options you can make to your system. Whether you just want tiny icons to save some and preserve your beautiful wallpapers or larger ones to see them better, Windows 10 has plenty of ways to do it!
If you also want to change the look of any hard or soft-link icons, you can customize desktop shortcut arrows to suit your needs.