Technically, DoorDash can deliver cigarettes, but the platform doesn’t offer them officially. Also, DoorDash doesn’t provide too much information on this topic.
Cigarette deliveries are not too popular, according to some Dashers. They are specially regulated, and they add extra steps to the delivery process, to comply with the law. Here’s more on this somewhat controversial topic, so stick around!
DoorDash Cigarette Delivery
For reference, when we mentioned DoorDash cigarette delivery in this article, it applies to all tobacco products, electronic cigarettes, vape pens, etc. You can order cigarettes via DoorDash if you are of legal age, but there are some additional requirements. Here’s the list:
- You need to be 21 or older.
- You have to present a valid I.D. (passport, driver’s license, or military I.D.)
- You mustn’t be visibly intoxicated while picking up the delivery.
Placing a cigarette order is not difficult. You need to pick a location and a restaurant in the app, add your order and request the cigarettes using the Extra Instructions field in the Preferences tab.
Those are the basic rules for DoorDash customers, and they aren’t so strict. However, the regulations for DoorDash drivers are much more rigorous, and they need to pay extra attention when delivering cigarette orders.
The Delivery Process
The delivery process for cigarettes is somewhat complicated. Here is how Dashers need to act on cigarette orders:
- They need to verify that the customer is 21 or older when they make the delivery. In other words, they need to check the customer’s I.D. and make sure that it is not a fake or expired one.
- Age verification also includes comparing the customer’s facial features with the I.D. they presented. Namely, a Dasher must check if the customer is not a minor posing as an adult.
- There are specific locations where Dashers are not allowed to deliver cigarettes. These include hospitals, campuses, schools, sporting events and venues, lockers or post office boxes, prisons, state facilities, and shops that sell cigarettes.
- Most importantly, Dashers need to use their best judgment. If they have any doubts, they are instructed to reach out to DoorDash and check if they should hand over the cigarettes. They mustn’t deliver cigarettes to a drunken person, either.
Cigarette deliveries are no joke for the drivers. Therefore, many of them won’t accept to deliver tobacco products, and DoorDash allows them to refuse. Dashers can face severe consequences if they break the law (e.g., give cigarettes to minors or intoxicated persons).
Cigarette delivery falls into the special instructions category, and your Dasher is not obliged to fulfill this special request. If they deliver you tobacco products, respect the rules mentioned above, because if you don’t, they can be in serious trouble. Also, you might not get what you ordered if you don’t follow the rules.
Any specially requested items will be charged extra, and count toward your total bill. You should tip a driver if they agree to bring you cigarettes. If you want to make sure they do that, mention the tip in the special instructions. It will give them a stronger incentive to accept the delivery.
DoorDash and Tobacco Products
DoorDash is somewhat vague about its tobacco products policy. It doesn’t explicitly forbid or allow tobacco delivery. You may or may not get cigarettes delivered to you via DoorDash, as it mostly depends on the driver and whether they’ll accept the delivery or not.
How did it go for you? Did you get your cigarettes via DoorDash? Would you appreciate it if they added tobacco products to their official item selection? Talk to us, that’s why the comments section is here.