Just like with any other job, when you work at DoorDash, you need to take care of your taxes. When you’re a Dasher, you’re employed as an independent contractor, so you’re responsible for keeping track of what you earn. Your employer can’t give you any professional tax advice, so if you need help, you’ll need to talk to an expert.
If you’re not sure what a 1099 form is and how you can get it, this article may help remove your doubts. However, keep in mind that it’s only informative, and only a tax professional can give you accurate legal advice.
Where Do I Get My 1099?
The 1099 is a tax form you receive from Payable.com if you earn more than $600 in one calendar year. You use this form to report your annual earnings, and it’s useful that you have it when you go to file your taxes. The 1099 form is meant for the self-employed, but it also can be used to report government payments, interest, dividends, and more.
Your employer has an obligation to send this form to you each year before January 31st. As you’re an independent contractor when you work for DoorDash, you get the 1099-MISC form. Via this form, you report all your annual income to the IRS and then pay income tax on the earnings.
Note that you need to report the earnings even if you don’t receive the form. In case this happens, it doesn’t represent an issue if you still report your income and pay your taxes accordingly. You can do it without the 1099 form, so there’s no need to call the employer and remind them to send it. You won’t have any trouble with the IRS as long as you file the taxes on time. The only thing you should avoid is waiting for the form and missing your deadline.
To access your 1099-MISC form, you need to accept an invite DoorDash sends you. When you do, you automatically get a Payable account, so you don’t have to create one on your own. If you have an account from before, you can see the 1099 form for the current year under DoorDash (year) name.
Can They Deliver This Form Another Way?
The 1009 form is delivered to you by the method of your choice. You can change the delivery preference any time, as long as it’s a week before the due-date. This is how you can do it via your Payable account:
- Launch the Payable app and log in to your account.
- There’s a menu on the left – pull it out and tap on My Account at the bottom. You can also access your account by tapping on your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Scroll down to find the Verification & Tax Info section.
- Tap on Tax Form Delivery to choose the desired form of the 1099 form delivery.
You should select a delivery preference at least seven days before the 1099 form needs to be sent. If you don’t, it’s automatically sent to your home address, as stated in your account.
How Do I Know If DoorDash Has Filed the 1099?
To check if your employer has filed this form, log in to your Payable account and do the following:
- Pull out the menu on the left side of the screen and tap on Taxes. Note that if you’re accessing the site from a web browser, you need to click on Taxes in the bar at the top.
- In the next screen, choose the desired tax year.
- Choose the expanded view of the tax year and scroll to find Download & Print Form, just above the Close button.
- Tap or click to download the 1099 form.
Doing Taxes Made Easy
Doing taxes is relatively simple when you work for DoorDash. You need to keep track of your earnings and be responsible for entering the correct information and doing it on time. However, you get the form you need automatically when your employer files it.
Did you find it complicated to keep track of your earnings and taxes as a Dasher? Share your experiences with us in the comments section below.