How To Download Videos from Hudl.com
Do you use Hudl.com to upload videos of your games in the hope of being spotted or scouted? Want to show your coach or show your team a new play? You could record it and then share it on your team’s Facebook page or you could use Hudl.com. This tutorial is going to show you how to upload and download videos from Hudl.com as well as how to use the platform.
Hudl.com is a platform for athletes and budding sports stars. You record plays, practice and matches and upload them to the app. You can then perform stop motion, slow motion and zoom in and out of the video to analyze what happened, what went wrong, what could have gone better and endlessly overthink your game.
If you’re a professional, or want to be a professional, you need to check out Hudl.com. The main users are high schools and college teams and the platform was launched by a couple of teams back in 2006. Since then it has evolved into a valuable game analysis tool that can provide real insights into how you play.
How to upload video to Hudl.com
To be able to use Hudl.com, you need to know how to upload your videos onto the platform. It might also be useful to be able to download them afterwards too, or download videos from other teams or players.
To upload a video recorded using Hudl.com from a mobile device:
- Log into Hudl.com on your device.
- Select Capture and Record on the device.
- Select Audio On if you want sound as well as video.
- Record your video and press Record again to stop.
- Select View Clips to see your recordings.
- Select a clip and then Upload.
- Name the clip and select Next.
- Select Upload again to do just that.
To upload a video recorded on your phone camera you need to load it onto your computer first. The following instructions will work for phone camera clips, webcam clips or any media that you want to upload from a computer. The instructions are identical whether you use Windows or Mac.
- Connect your phone to a computer and transfer the clip to it.
- Log into Hudl.com and select Upload.
- Select a team for the upload and check the box for audio, or not.
- Select Files and choose the clip you want to upload from your computer.
- Select Open and select the footage type from Game, Practice or Scout.
- Select the Event and give the clip a name.
- Select Edit to control permissions for the video.
- Select Save and Save again to save your video and upload it.
The process is a little long but offers a lot of control over who can see the video and helps manage categorization. Part of the utility of Hudl.com is its organization of footage and adding the clip to the correct categories will help you manage this. You can also select who can see the video and add sharing options if you wish.
How to download video from Hudl.com
Athletes are not able to download video from Hudl.com. If you’re a coach and want to download video from Hudl.com, you can.
- Log into Hudl.com and navigate to Video.
- Hover over Video and select Manage Library.
- Select the video you want to download from the list.
- Select Actions and then Download.
- Select a format and Prepare this Download.
- Check your email for a download link and select it to download.
The same process work on Windows and Mac. It will download as a .zip file and you will need to extract it somewhere onto your device to view. I don’t have a Hudl.com account but I know someone who does. She recommends selecting the MP4 file format at Step 5 as it is a much smaller download and will appear much faster than WMV.
The process is a little convoluted but you can work with it. Why any platform would use WMV for download by default I do now know but you do at least have the option to change it to MP4.
You can also use the Hudl Mercury app to upload and download videos from Hudl.com but that’s a whole other tutorial as that app is huge and is a lot more complicated than the web app!
Do you use Hudl.com? Find it useful? Know any tricks that makes using it easier? Tell us about it below if you do!