With the second generation of the Amazon Echo, it feels as if we are already living in the future. This small yet powerful device allows you to have better control over your smart household. Among its many useful features, the Echo can tell you the room temperature.
We’ll show you how to check the indoor temperature, as well as explain some advanced features that can make your life easier.
How to Activate the Temperature Sensor?
If this is your first time using a temperature sensor, it can be a bit confusing. We’ll guide you through the setup process. As usually, you can do everything through the Alexa app on your phone or tablet.
- Open the Alexa app on your smart device.
- Go to the Smart Home section.
- Tap on the Temperature Sensor and turn it on.
- You can now create a new smart home group, or add the temperature sensor to an existing group.
That’s it! You can now ask Alexa to show you the temperature in the room where Echo is placed. However, you may have to wait up to 45 minutes until the temperature sensor starts working accurately. It needs some time to adapt and start measuring the temperature precisely.
The next time you want to check the room temperature, simply say: “Alexa, what’s the room temperature?”
If you thought that this is all that the Echo can do for you, you’d be wrong. We’ll explore some additional options that we’re sure you’ll love.
Did you know that you can order Alexa to notify you when the indoor temperature gets bellow or above the specified level? It can be beneficial for people suffering from certain conditions that need to keep the temperature on a constant level.
Also, we believe you’ll love this feature if you have a small child and are concerned about it catching a cold. With the Echo’s advanced features, you can be carefree as it tracks the room temperature 24 hours a day.
Here’s how to set this feature:
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone.
- Tap on the bottom right icon.
- Scroll down and tap on All Devices.
- Open the Echo or Echo Plus.
- Tap on Measurements.
- Set your desired temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
Now, you can go to the Routines section.
- Open the Routines section.
- Tap on the Plus sign to add a new routine.
- First, you have to set a parameter in “When this happens…” section. You can type something like: “If the temperature gets below 68 F.”
- Tap on Save.
- Now, it’s time to add the desired Action. Type what you would like Alexa to do or say when that happens. You can write something like: “Temperature is getting below 68 F,” or you could set it to give you a visual notification.
- Click on Save.
There you have it! From now on, the indoor temperature will never go below a certain level.
Avoid placing the Echo near any heating and cooling sources if you want its temperature sensor to operate accurately. For the best results, keep it at least 3 feet away from radiators, air-condition, and windows.
Echo Improves Your House Life
It’s hard to choose our favorite Echo feature, but many people said that the temperature control was by far their favorite one. Now you know how to use it, and we hope it’ll turn out useful.
What do you usually use the Echo for? What’s your favorite feature of this smart speaker? Feel free to share with us in the comments section below.