Nowadays, there are so many dating sites and apps. It can be challenging to choose the right one based on your needs. eHarmony used to be the golden standard of online dating, but then Tinder came along and took all its glory.
These two dating platforms differ a lot, but they’re both excellent. They have different qualities and probably different types of users. eHarmony is more conventional than Tinder, which promotes instant hookups and quick dates.
The users of eHarmony are usually older than 30, single, and straight. Read on for a detailed comparison.
eHarmony in a Nutshell
eHarmony was founded in 2000 by a theologian and psychologist Dr. Neil Clark Warren. As you would imagine, a founder with such a background takes dating seriously. Therefore, the app doesn’t promote or support casual dating and instant hookups.
The goal of eHarmony is to invest people into a stable, long-lasting relationship, and even marriage. eHarmony makes you take a very long test on the sign-up and feeds your answers to its matching algorithm.
eHarmony is responsible for 2% of all marriages in the United States, which is a considerable number. It has millions of active users, but it has a neat mechanism. Even though you can use the platform for free, the premium option is just too good to pass on.
The mentioned mechanism is that you get your three-month membership extended by another three months if you don’t manage to find a relationship in the given time window (only if you were actually active and genuinely tried to find a date).
eHarmony is a dating site, and there’s no mobile app. Perhaps that’s why it’s not as popular as Tinder. Sure, you can use eHarmony in a mobile browser, but feels somewhat clunky and awkward.
Tinder in a Nutshell
On the other hand, Tinder is very functional, even if you use the free version of the app. Although Tinder has a site, most people use mobile apps for Android and iOS devices. Tinder also has various paid plans that boost your visibility on the app, but they are not necessary.
Tinder has more users than eHarmony, just look at those download numbers. It is more popular worldwide, and it has different aims and goals than its web-based competitor. Most people use it to get a date quickly, not to find their soul mate.
People usually use Tinder out of boredom, just to find some quick entertainment. The ones that seek serious relationships need to go through a lot of bad dates until they find the right person.
These are generalizations, but you get the gist. If you like someone from your area, you are more likely to find them on Tinder than on eHarmony. Tinder’s algorithm mostly focuses on your geographic location while your interests and personality take the back seat.
You find dates on Tinder based on personal appearance and a short biography. Tinder has a somewhat superficial approach, but not everyone is looking for the love of their life.
Why Tinder Is Better
We already mentioned the strong points and some of the weaknesses of these two dating tools. Let’s get into more detail to figure out which platform is better for you. If you are not aiming for a long-term relationship, but you want to date somebody, Tinder is better. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Tinder is free. You don’t need to pay anything to find interested parties and engage in communication with them right away.
- It’s easier to use. The sign up is quick, and millions of people use it. In other words, you can find dates much quicker on Tinder, without any hassle.
- It’s casual. Everyone knows that they can easily find someone else if a match doesn’t work out. Also, you can easily ghost someone on Tinder.
- Communication is more relaxed. People are more likely to chat with more people at a time on Tinder. The competition is fiercer too, but it goes both ways.
- Tinder is inclusive. Of the two competitors, Tinder is more open toward the LGBTQ+ population. People with different sexual orientation and those with an open mind will probably have more success on Tinder.
Why eHarmony Is Better
Tinder, as great as it is, is not always a better option. eHarmony has many perks too, and some people will appreciate it more than Tinder. The most significant reasons for using eHarmony are:
- It has a more serious audience. Generally speaking, it has a more mature user base, not just age-wise. People on eHarmony mostly want a long-term relationship, even marriage. Those things are nearly taboo on Tinder.
- eHarmony has a better dating algorithm. Sorry Tinder, but this is true. This algorithm can help you find the right person for you, and it’s not a sham. Many people testified about finding true love on eHarmony. There aren’t many Tinder testimonies of the sort.
- eHarmony is not just about the looks. If you care more about personality, Tinder is probably not your cup of tea. On eHarmony, physical appearance takes the back seat.
- A more conservative environment. If you are a straight, conservative person, eHarmony is a better choice. People will be understanding and share similar principles with you.
- Paying for a dating site perhaps isn’t such a bad thing. It shows that you are invested from the get-go. Most people on eHarmony want to find a significant other, not a quick date.
No Clear Winner
Tinder and eHarmony are equally good, but they cater to different people. The user demographics of these two platforms only meet on some points. Both are dating sites, with the same (primary) goal – getting people together. However, Tinder is more about casual dating and socializing, while eHarmony is more about long-term commitment and marriage.
It is up to you to decide which one you want to use. You won’t go wrong with either one. Feel free to share your experiences and thoughts with us in the comments section below.