How To Factory Reset and Wipe an Xbox 360 Before Selling
If you want to sell your Xbox 360, there are some things you should do before putting up the ad. First, you should factory reset your console to wipe it clean and return to factory settings. Optionally, you might want to clear the device cache or back up some or all of the data you have stored on the console’s hard drive. Here’s how to prepare your Xbox 360 for sale.
It is highly recommended to perform a factory reset and wipe your Xbox 360 if you intend to sell it. The process is fairly simple, though it may take some time for the console to format the hard drive. If you want to keep some data, you should back it up – but more on that later. Now, let’s jump into the factory reset.
- On the Xbox 360’s Home screen, press the center or “Guide” button with the Xbox logo on it.
- This will bring up the Main Menu. In the Main Menu, you should select the “Settings” tab.
- Next, you’ll see the main categories of the “Settings” menu on the screen. Select the “System” tab. It is at the upper-right corner of the grid.
- Next, enter the “System Settings” tab.
- In the “System Settings” section, you should select the “Console Settings” tab. It is located on the top of the list.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and select the “System Info” tab. The next window will display your console’s serial number and other key info. You can also find your console’s serial number next to the controller ports on the front panel. Additionally, it is printed right above the A/V port on the back of your Xbox 360.
- You should write down the serial number for later.
- Next, go back to the “System Settings” section of the menu.
- There, you should select the “Storage” tab.
- You will see the list of all devices and drives connected to your system. Highlight the “Hard Drive” and press the “Y” button. This will bring up device options.
- You will see the “Device Summary” section on the right and the list of available options on the left. Pick the “Format” option.
- Confirm your choice.
- Next, you will be prompted to enter your console’s serial number.
When the formatting is done, you will be prompted to restart your Xbox 360’s. When you restart it and arrive at the Home screen, you should delete your user location. Have in mind that you’re logged off Xbox Live now and your games are deleted.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Open the “System” section of the menu.
- Select the “Storage” tab.
- Select the “Location of your user”.
- Delete it.
When you sell the console, the new owner should perform the Initial Setup. Here’s how that’s done.
- Enter the Main Menu.
- Next, go to the “Settings” section.
- Enter the “System” tab.
- Select the “Initial Setup” option.
- When prompted, confirm your choice.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
If you intend to sell your Xbox 360, it is also a good idea to clear the console’s cache. Another reason to clear it if the games are performing poorly or the device is slowing down. Clearing the cache won’t delete your games and account, but it will delete game updates. Follow these steps to clear your Xbox 360’s cache.
- On the Home screen, press the “Guide” button on your controller, the one with the Xbox logo on it.
- Next, choose the “Settings” tab in the Main Menu.
- Open the “System” tab.
- In the “System” section, select the “Storage” tab.
- Next, highlight the device you want to clear and press the “Y” button on your controller.
- The “Device Options” screen will appear. Select the “Clear System Cache” option from the menu.
- Confirm your choice.
If there’s any data that you’d like to keep, you should perform a data backup before wiping your Xbox 360. To back up your data, follow these steps.
- Plug a USB flash or hard drive into your console’s USB port. It should appear in the list of your storage devices.
- On the Home screen, press the “Guide” button on your controller.
- Next, pick the “Settings” tab.
- In the “Settings” menu, choose the “System Settings” tab.
- Enter the “Storage” section.
- Highlight your console’s hard drive and press the “Y” button on your controller.
- Pick the “Transfer Content” option from the drop-down menu and select your USB drive.
- After that, select the files you want to back up and click “Start”. If you’re backing up a large amount of data, the transfer might take some time.
Preparing your Xbox 360 for selling might seem like a daunting task, but it’s rather easy. If you stumble along the road, this article’s got your back.