QuickBooks is one of the most popular accounting software solutions, ideal for small and medium companies. It allows you to manage your finances, while providing detailed information about your customers, vendors, and employees.
Depending on the pricing option you apply for, QuickBooks allows you to access their system either through a web app or desktop software installed on your computer. The user-friendly interface lets you quickly check all the information vital for your business, such as accounting details or your products inventory.
Being a multi-user app, QuickBooks allows you to create users with different access rights. Users can also log in and work simultaneously, since the app updates all data in real-time, making this a true business app.
Checking Who’s Logged In
With your business thriving, it’s natural to allow your employees to collaborate though the QuickBooks app on a daily basis. To make sure that they can use the app without any interruptions, the role of the application admin is of great importance.
That’s especially true when some of the employees run into an issue while working with QuickBooks. To know who’s using the app at any moment, just follow these few simple steps:
- Open the QuickBooks app.
- Login as Admin.
- Click the “Company” tab from the app’s top menu bar.
- Click the “Users” option.
- Click “View Users”.
A pop-up menu will open in which you’ll see the list of all app users. Each user that’s currently logged in will have a “(logged on)” text next to their name.
Logged Off User Appearing As Still Logged In
On occasion, a user may log out of their QuickBooks app but still remain logged in on the server, regardless of their action. To log them off, you can use the app’s internal messaging service.
- Open the QuickBooks as admin.
- Click the “Company” tab in the top menu.
- Click “Chat with a Coworker”.
- Click the “Actions” drop-down menu.
- Select “Close Company File for Users”.
- Select the username of the user you wish to log off.
- Click the “Close Company File” option.
- A confirmation window will appear. If you’re sure you want to log off this user, click “Yes”.
This action should now log off the user. Next time they want to use the app, they just need to log in as they usually do, since there haven’t been any changes to their log in parameters.
Admin Can’t Log Off a User Through the Messenger App
If you weren’t able to log off the stuck user using QuickBooks’ messenger app, it might be because they have another instance of the app running on their computer. Also, the issue could be with the messenger service, which doesn’t properly process your command at this point, preventing you from logging this user off.
To resolve this, you should close all of the running QuickBooks processes by using the Windows Task Manager. Users could probably do this by themselves, but it’s best to have admin either supervise this or simply do it for them.
- On the user’s computer, press CTRL+ALT+DEL on the keyboard to open the Windows Task Manager.
- Click on the “Processes” tab from the top menu.
- You should see all the processes currently running on this computer.
- Look for any QuickBooks processes.
- Right click on each and select the “End task” option, to close the process.
- Repeat the previous step for each of the QuickBooks processes.
This should solve the problem with the logged in user, allowing them to use the app without interruption.
Closing the QuickBooks Processes Didn’t Work
If the previous action didn’t solve the problem with the still logged in user, you may consider restarting the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Login as admin to the QuickBooks server.
- Open the QuickBooks app.
- Click the “File” tab.
- Click “Open or Restore Company”.
- Click “Open a company file”.
- Click “Next.”
- Locate your company file and select it.
- Check the “Open file in multi-user mode” box.
- Click “Open”.
- Log into the company file with your username and password.
- When the QuickBooks app opens, click the “File” tab.
- Click “Close Company/Log off” from the menu.
This will close the company file on the server, causing the stuck user to finally log off.
Contacting the QuickBooks Support
If none of the above actions helped solve the issue, it’s best to contact the QuickBooks Desktop Support Team.
- Open the QuickBooks app.
- Click the “Help” tab from the top menu.
- Click “QuickBooks Desktop Help”.
- Type in the description of your issue, in order to reach the dedicated support expert.
- Click “Continue”.
- In the next menu, select one of the available options that best suits your issue.
- Wait for the support expert to contact you with a solution.
You can also use the keyboard shortcut to quickly reach the help menu. Simply press the F1 key on your keyboard while in the QuickBooks app.
A Powerful Tool
Along with many useful accounting features, QuickBooks also provides a pretty powerful set of tools to manage the app’s users. If you encounter an issue that affects your QuickBooks coworkers, as an admin, you’ll always have the ability to approach the problem from a couple of different angles. Of course, remember there’s always a dedicated support team to help you out with any issues you can’t solve by yourself at any given moment.
Have you ever had any problems logging into QuickBooks? Why not share your experiences in the comments sections below?