How to Fix “CKI Read Failed” Error in Crossfire
Few things can spoil your fun more than unexpected errors when running your favorite game. One of the more uncommon, but still annoying, bugs that CrossFire can experience is the ‘CKI read failed’ error. This problem prevents the application from patching fully, hindering your ability to enjoy your game. In this article, we’ll describe how to fix the Crossfire ‘CKI read failed’ error in several ways.
Fixing the CKI Read Failed Error
The reason that a ‘CKI read failed’ error occurs is that the game launcher isn’t able to access the necessary files that it needs to either update or run the game. There can be several causes for this, and a few ways to address the problem when it does happen. Below are some of the known solutions for this error.
Solution 1: VPN or Antivirus Exceptions
Sometimes, the reason for a ‘CKI read failed’ error is the inability of the game to access the necessary files, either locally, or on the online servers. A common reason for this would be either a VPN causing the program to access the wrong online servers, or an antivirus not allowing CrossFire online access.
Make sure that any VPNs that you use are turned off when you run CrossFire, unless you’re playing on other regional servers. It would also be best to add CrossFire as an exception to your antivirus list to prevent it from cutting off the game’s online access.
Solution 2: Complete Reinstall
Although this is a rather drastic solution, it will get rid of most, if not all, the errors that your game is experiencing. A CKI error can be the symptom of a worse problem, namely errors in the registry. Doing a clean install will get rid of any corrupt files that your game may have. To ensure that you’re doing a clean install, follow the instructions as given below:
- Head to your Crossfire game folder and double click the uninstall.exe file, or use the native uninstaller included with your operating system.
- Delete the Crossfire folder to remove all game data. The default installation folder is under C:/Program Files (x86)/Z8Games/CrossFire. If you installed the program in a different folder, open that location and delete the folder entirely.
- Proceed to your Documents folder and look for the CrossFire log folder. These files contain the options and systems settings for the game. Delete them as well.
- Proceed to the CrossFire games website and download the latest version of the game.
- Proceed with the installation once your download is finished.
- After the installation is over, run CrossFire and allow it to patch fully.
Solution 3: Delete the Independent Launcher Folder
The CKI error isn’t common for those playing in the West Server of the game. However, it’s a problem that occurs with a bit of frequency for those playing on other regional servers. Regional servers like China, Indonesia, or the Philippines have stand alone game launchers that update the game and connect them to their local servers.
If you’re playing on a server other than CrossFire West, then you may encounter the CKI read failed error when the standalone launcher is corrupted. This solution should be faster than reinstalling the entire game as you’ll only need to delete a folder and not the entire program. To proceed with this solution, do the following:
Deleting the Standalone Launcher Folder
- Open your CrossFire game installation folder.
- Look for a folder that has the launcher in its name. Each game region has a launcher named after the company that is currently handling distribution. These would be:
- VTC Online for Vietnam Servers
- Tencent for China
- SmileGate or GameClub for the Philippines.
- Lyto for Indonesia
- Mail.Ru for Russia
- Once you’ve deleted the folder, run CrossFire by using either the Patcher.exe file or the CrossFire.exe file in the main CrossFire folder.
- Allow the game to finish patching. The process should detect that the standalone launcher is missing and will redownload the folder.
- Once finished, the CKI read failed error should be fixed.
Uninstalling the Standalone Launcher
- Open your operating system’s programs list. For Windows 10 it’s under Settings and then Apps. For Mac, use the Finder.
- The name of the standalone launcher will depend on the server that you’re currently playing in. They’re usually named after the regional distributor of the game. Refer to the distributor names above.
- Uninstall the standalone launcher.
- Run CrossFire, either through the patcher.exe file or the CrossFire.exe file in the main folder.
- Allow it to patch fully. This should remove the ‘CKI read failed’ error.
An Uncommon Error
Although very uncommon in the western servers, the ‘CKI read failed’ error is still a problem that can ruin a gaming session. Knowing how to deal with this bug, on the rare occasion that it does affect your game, spares you potential headaches. Do you know of any other ways how to fix the Crossfire ‘CKI read failed’ error? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.