How To Forward Yahoo Mail to Gmail
Whenever I see a Yahoo.com email address I get flashbacks to the early days of the internet when the name was dominant on the web. I didn’t even realize Yahoo was still a thing until a friend asked me how to forward Yahoo mail to Gmail. As I has done a piece on forwarding Outlook to Gmail, they thought I was the person to ask about Yahoo.
Yahoo Mail was originally launched in 1997 and offered email and associated services to complement the search and web services the company had already made a name for. It is still going now but is owned by Verizon. The company still has a bunch of web services including email but is a shadow of its former self.
That said, Yahoo Mail is still going and lots of people apparently use it. With that in mind, this tutorial will show you how to forward Yahoo Mail to Gmail and vice versa.
Forward Yahoo Mail to Gmail
Yahoo Mail has similar features to competing freemail services including the ability to manually or automatically forward some or all email to other emails. In this case we’re going to forward from Yahoo Mail to Gmail.
- Log into your Yahoo Mail account.
- Select the cog icon to access settings in the top right of the page.
- Select Settings and More Settings.
- Select Mailboxes and select your Yahoo email address.
- Select Forwarding and enter your Gmail address in the Forwarding Address section.
- Select Verify.
- Log into your Gmail account and look for the email from Yahoo.
- Click the link in the email to verify your Gmail address with Yahoo.
Emails from Yahoo may appear in your Gmail inbox or spam depending on the address. If the email doesn’t appear within a few minutes, check your spam folder and redo the above if the email hasn’t arrived. Double check the Gmail address you entered in Step 5 to make sure spelling is absolutely correct.
The email should appear and include a link within it to verify the address. It might be a simple ‘Click Here’ link or a normal URL. Either way, click it to confirm and you’re good to go. From now on, all new emails will be automatically forwarded to Gmail.
Forward Gmail to Yahoo Email
You can do the reverse if you prefer. Gmail also has the option to forward all new emails to other addresses and will work with most freemail services.
- Log into Gmail.
- Select the gear icon at the top right of the Inbox.
- Select Settings and the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Select ‘Add a Forwarding Address’ at the top.
- Enter your Yahoo Email and select Next.
- Select the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab.
- Select Create New Filter.
- Enter your Gmail address in the From box at the top and your Yahoo Email address in the To box.
- Add any filters underneath.
- Select Create Filter.
- Select Forward It To in the next window and select Create Filter.
The same as before, from now on, all new email that arrive at your Gmail address will be automatically forwarded onto your Yahoo Mail. That way you can check all your emails with a single login instead of having to log into however many email addresses you might have.
Send and receive Yahoo Email from Gmail
You can also send Yahoo Email from within Gmail. This is useful for making the most of that single login. You can use Gmail, read your forwarded Yahoo Email and reply using your Yahoo address from within Gmail. It’s a neat trick that can save time. Here’s how to set it up.
- Log into Gmail.
- Select the cog icon at the top right of the Inbox.
- Select Settings and the Accounts and Import tab.
- Select Check Mail From Other Accounts (using POP3).
- Select Add a POP3 Mail Account You Own.
- Add your Yahoo Email address and select Next Step.
- Enter your Yahoo Email address and your account password in the next window.
- Enter the POP3 server in the next window.
- Check all the boxes except the Archive option.
- Select Add Account.
- Check Yes to I Want To Be Able To Use Email As…
- Enter your name and select Next Step.
- Enter the Yahoo SMTP server details in the next window.
- Select Add Account.
- Check your Yahoo Email for a verification email. Enter the Confirmation Code into the box in Gmail and select Verify.
Your two accounts should now be linked and you can use your Yahoo Email address whenever you send an email. You should see a dropdown in the email part of the reply or new email window and see the option to select all addresses you link to Gmail.