How To Get the Bitmoji Keyboard on Android
Bitmoji is a popular smartphone app that allows users to create a unique personalized avatar based on their own facial features. This human-like avatar can then be incorporated into custom-made emojis known as Bitmojis, which users send to their friends like they do regular emojis. Owned by the same company that owns Snapchat, Bitmoji ranks as one of the most downloaded Android apps.
The app lets you exchange Bitmojis with your friends via messaging platforms and social media apps. However, if you want to send Bitmojis from inside the app of your choice – be it Messenger, WhatsApp, Snapchat, or some other – you must enable the Bitmoji keyboard. Here you will learn how to do this.
Before You Start
To be able to share your personalized emojis with friends, you will first have to install the Bitmoji app. Download the app from the Google Play Store and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
After that, launch the app and either register a new account or log in with your Snapchat credentials. Set up your profile and design your own Bitmoji avatar by customizing your gender, skin tone, hair, facial features, and clothes. When you’re done, tap on the checkmark in the top-right corner of the screen to save the avatar. This avatar will now serve as the basis for all the Bitmojis you create.
Enabling the Bitmoji Keyboard
Sending Bitmojis from the Bitmoji app is a good option if you just want to share one or two images and be done with it. However, if you want to use your Bitmojis in all online conversations, the Bitmoji keyboard is a much more practical solution. Rather than having to open the app whenever you want to send a Bitmoji, you can change your keyboard, find the Bitmoji, and send it – all in just a few quick taps.
To enable the Bitmoji Keyboard, do the following:
- Open the Bitmoji app and tap the three dots icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap “Settings” in the dropdown menu.
- In the Settings menu, tap “Bitmoji Keyboard”.
- Tap “Enable Keyboard”.
This will take you to your device’s Language and Settings menu. If you toggle the switch next to “Bitmoji Keyboard” to “on”, you will be able to use it in your messages. However, you will have to go to the same menu and switch the option off to use your standard textual keyboard.
To simplify the process, you need to install and configure Google’s Gboard keyboard.
If you don’t already have Gboard installed, you can download it for free from the Google Play Store.
With both Gboard and the Bitmoji keyboard installed, here is how to configure them:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap “Language & Input”.
- Select “Current Keyboard”. If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, the option is labeled “On-Screen Keyboard”.
- In the pop-up window, tap “Choose Keyboards” or “Manage Keyboards” on Samsung Galaxy phones.
- You will now see a list of all the keyboards installed on your phone. Toggle the switches next to “Bitmoji Keyboard” and “Gboard” to on so that both keyboards are active.
After this, open the Gboard app and set Gboard as your default keyboard by tapping on the following options: Select Input Method > Gboard > Set Permissions > Allow > Done.
With Gboard properly configured, you can now start using the Bitmoji keyboard in messages.
Using the Bitmoji Keyboard
To start using the Bitmoji keyboard, open your favorite messaging app and do the following:
- Tap a text field to bring up the keyboard.
- On the keyboard, tap the smiley face icon. You’ll find it in the bottom-left corner of the screen, left of the space bar.
- Tap the small Bitmoji icon at the bottom-center of the screen.
- Next, a window with all your Bitmojis will appear. Scroll through them to find the one you want to send or enter your keyword into the “Search Bitmoji” field to find it faster.
- Once you’ve found the Bitmoji you want to send, tap to insert it into your message.
- Tap “Send” to send your message. Depending on the app you’re using, this option may be represented by an arrow symbol or a checkmark.
A Few Notes on Bitmoji and Gboard
In apps that allow you to paste images into the text field (Snapchat, WhatsApp, Messenger, Hangouts, Google Android Messages, and a few others), you will be able to add captions to your Bitmojis before sending them. In other messaging apps, your Bitmoji will be sent in the form of a sticker.
To use the Bitmoji keyboard in combination with Gboard, you will need to free up at least 5% of your device’s total storage space. Also, always use the latest version of the Bitmoji app to avoid glitches.