How to Pay with Cash on Grubhub
GrubHub is one of the few online delivery services that allows you to pay with cash. That’s just one of the reasons why it’s such a versatile and attractive option. If you’re worried about feeding your credit card information into an online app, don’t worry.
You don’t have to do that with GrubHub, but note that not all restaurants accept cash payments. Unfortunately, at time of writing, we couldn’t find an official list of the non-participating outlets.
But stick us with and learn about the whole ordering process on GrubHub, and how you can pay with both cash and other payment methods.
Set Up an Account
To order on GrubHub, and pay with cash, you need to have an account. If you already have an account, head on to the next section of the article. For those who haven’t signed up for GrubHub yet, the process is very straightforward.
- Launch the website, or the app, and select the Sign In option.
- Choose to Create Your Account at the bottom of the screen.
- You can enter your credentials (email, name, and password) or sign in via Google or Facebook.
- Choose to Create Your Account when you enter all the necessary information.
You’re all set, now you can move to make an order on GrubHub.
How to Pay with Cash
When you’re ready, order food from GrubHub and pay with cash:
- Log into your account on the website or the app.
- Enter the search field and type in the appropriate ZIP code.
- You’ll see a wide selection of restaurants in your area. If you want to narrow down the search, enter a food term (e.g., pizza) and search for it.
- Next, choose a restaurant, and its menu will open.
- Find some food you like, and add it to your cart.
- When you finish your order, tap Proceed to Checkout.
- Enter your address. You can see the checkout price on this screen. Confirm the order if you agree.
- Find the pay with a cash option, which should be at the bottom of your screen. Finally, you can finish the order.
If the option to pay with cash is available, you’ll see it onscreen. But like we said, it’s not a guarantee that the restaurant you’re ordering from will accept a cash payment.
Why Most Restaurants Don’t Take Cash
Even though some places still take cash via GrubHub, most of them don’t. The reasoning behind this decision is quite simple. Paying with cash complicates things. The GrubHub courier has to take cash from you and give it to the restaurant.
Doing so adds more mileage to their drive, takes more time, and doesn’t give the restaurant a guarantee that you’ll pay. It makes sense that most restaurants won’t agree to that, even if it’s more convenient for the customer.
As mentioned, GrubHub is one of the rare delivery services that accepts cash payments. Most of the competition refuses straight up (Instacart, Postmates, Uber Eats, DoorDash, and many others).
Note that GrubHub also accepts many other payment options, including major credit and debit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, eGift, and Android Pay. These are a great alternative if the particular restaurant you’re ordering from doesn’t take cash.
You Can Always Tip with Cash
The good news is that you can always tip your GrubHub courier with cash. In fact, these people work mostly for tips, and they’ll appreciate whatever comes their way. Therefore, try to leave a generous tip if you’re satisfied with the service.
If you prefer, you can tip through the GrubHub app, but that doesn’t make much sense if you’re paying for the order in cash. Anyhow, everything about tipping is your personal choice, so we leave it up to you.
Cash Is Still King
Some people try to deny the simple fact that cash still reigns supreme. Sure, now we have Bitcoin and many other modern payment methods, but nothing could ever substitute paper bills. The only thing that’s better than cash is gold because its value is permanent.
Let’s not get carried away, though. Is there a reason why you want to stick to cash? Do you find it more convenient? Should all online delivery services accept cash? Feel free to discuss those and other related topics in the comments section below.